Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting suggestions >

Need quilting suggestions

Need quilting suggestions

Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Default Need quilting suggestions

This quilt didn't get finished before Christmas, but it kept its place in line and the beast is now on the frame, square, wrinkle-free (mostly) and ready to quilt. The blocks are 11.5" tall by 6" wide, and the sashing is 2". Borders are 8", but I plan to lose some when I trim it after quilting.

I am pretty good at following pantographs, but I have only done one true free motion project. It was the meandering flowers taught by Angela Walters on YouTube. This quilt is for my 6 year old to use as a bedspread for the Christmas season.

I love the mid-century mod vibe in the fabrics, and plan to do an asterisk-type star in the cornerstones, and maybe ribbon candy in some of the bows and ribbons, and maybe outline all the presents, but that's really all I have. I have picked fuchsia thread, and the back is the pink and green squiggles, and the binding will be the pink and green peppermint stripes.

Many times I have tried to convince myself to dive into free motion, but I chicken out because I don't want to mess up a quilt. If this one isn't perfect, Emmaline won't mind. So if you have any suggestions for a complete amateur I am all ears. Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607054[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607055[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607056[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]607057[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1046.JPG
Views:	1340
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	607054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.JPG
Views:	1341
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	607055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1048.JPG
Views:	1340
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	607056   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	607057  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Sweet top! I might quilt a rounded bow shape in the bow with ribbons hanging down the center strip and a stipple in the present. Ribbon candy would look nice in the sashing with the asterisk in the cornerstones.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Darren, that is one of the cutest Christmas quilts ever!
Since I'm a very amateur FMQer I can't advise!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:05 AM

That is beautiful!!!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:29 AM

I have no idea of how to quilt it as I send my quilts out to be quilted but just wanted to tell you how beautiful your quilt is. Love the pattern and your 6 yo will love to put it on the bed at Christmas time. I am sure someone on this QB will be able to give you some great quilting ideas.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:58 AM

That’s a lovely Christmas quilt...I’m sure someone will have a great suggestion but I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to FMQ...I’m hoping to gain a little more confidence as I go along.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Beautiful quilt Wesing. I felt the same way about FMQ but was the designated quilter for a couple of charity quilts. I found an old set of sheets at Goodwill, sandwiched them and practiced different motifs before I put them on the quilt. Lori Kennedy’s blog the Inbox Jaunt has lots of step by step tutorials for different designs. I think you’ll find some easy Xmas motifs that would fit right on your quilt. Just drawing out the designs will give you more confidence. You can do it! It’s actually loads of fun!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Don't be afraid to mark the quilt! I do a lot of marking. Sometimes it is just the skeleton of the design or registration marks. Doing more FMQ definitely helps you gain confidence in doing it. I think you have a pretty solid game plan so far.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:01 AM

I do a lot of FMQ and a little ruler work. My experience is : if you can draw it, you can quilt it. The best way to get better at freemotion, in my opinion is to doodle. Practice the designs you want to quilt on paper. I recently was asked to do a christmassy design on a quilt. My immediate response was, " I hope you don't want holly leaves, because I can't draw them." Well, guess what, after a few sessions of drawing holly leaves on the back of junk mail and doodling during a lecture, I can draw holly leaves. I've graduated from pencil to ink, and am nearly ready to quilt holly leaves on a customer quilt. It's really about muscle memory, and 'seeing' the design on the quilt, which helps guide you when you're quilting. (I'd also do a little practice sandwich, even if you set up your DSM to fmq for practice, the motions are essentially the same.) Good luck on your quilt, it's darling!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:33 PM

That quilt is adorable! Please post when done!