Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Understanding cheap fabric content >

Understanding cheap fabric content

Understanding cheap fabric content

Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM

I think its like when you buy sheets 200 threads per inch as opposed to 500 threads on the nicer sheets. The plain colored fabrics are probably coarser from the dye. I have some Moda solids and they feel the same to me,as the Moda prints.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Ringspun cotton is much softer and nicer, but good luck finding anywhere on the bolt that talks about cotton processes.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:54 AM

I can't remember exactly who it was, but someone in the fabric business, who replied that she thought the repeated dyeing process for applying color(s) to fabric softened it. That isn't the whole answer, tho, as the least-thread-count sheets and the very densest thread-count sheets are both harsh, to my touch.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Don’t forget that “sizing” or the “finish” can and does differ on each fabric. I have some top quality fabric that I have had for years...the sizing has become coarse feeling...I attribute this to the fact that I do not prewash and it has aged. I am not worried about it...
Old 01-22-2019, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I have not bought fabric from JoAnn in (quite literally) decades. This was back when they only had one grade of their own line, the Keepsake cottons line and they were in the $4 per yard price range but this was 20 years ago when the average LQS fabric was probably running in the $6 to $7 price range for the newest releases. It was when I first started quilting and I didn't know about the different qualities of fabric. My experience with them is that they don't hold up over time and fade horribly. My very first quilts were made with this fabric and they were involved quilts (a sampler and a lone star, both queen size) and all hand quilted. I was so disappointed that the fabrics did not hold up over time and this is with minimal usage. Now I go for quality name brand fabrics but shop for the deals as I don't need to have the latest and greatest. I will rarely pay more than $7 to $8 per yard ($5 to$6 for solids like Kona or Moda Bella) but occasionally a fabric calls my name that is more.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:56 PM

I was disappointed when I specifically chose the softest fabric in an LYS to use for pillowcases. After pre-washing, that softness was lost. I assume that sizing or some other chemical had worked its magic and then was washed out.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 PM

I will admit, I am mystified by fabric. I am folding away again today and have come upon in two cases of expensive fabric that was soooo thin, yet soooo soft to the touch that it feels more like silk. I am actually afraid to use it in a quilt as it appears so delicate. I wish I had a more definitive answers to these questions.

I naturally Goggled the question, and most times they speak of thread count, but I don't feel this is the only answer.

Last edited by Schill93; 01-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 PM

I have used the Quilter's Showcase for backing and it's holding up well. I recently did an elephant wallhanging with one and it was a nice weight and sewed up well. I think the only difference was the colors weren't quite as vibrant as most LQS fabrics, but it wasn't bad or I wouldn't used it. I think the Keepsake line is diminishing in quality. I used a red for a backing recently that was way too thin after washing. I hope it holds up.

I like the new medallion prints in the QS line. I can't see anything wrong with them and the ones I've purchased washed well.

Fabric is such an enigma. Lately my favorite are the Nothcutt Stonehenge and Artisan fabrics and some of their digital prints. They feel silky and a great weight, but they are a coarser thread and fray more than I like. An old favorite, Moda Marble Swirls was thin and silky, but has wonderful colors and washes well. Then I replaced my turquoise and it was not as intense in color and much coarser, but the name and number of the fabric didn't change. What??
Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Bottom line--everything changes. All the manufacturers are looking for cheaper ways. They change where they get their cotton. They change where the fabric is woven. They change what additives they use. End product--a crap shoot. Might as well go to Vegas and bet it all on 13 Black!!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
I have come upon in two cases of expensive fabric that was soooo thin, yet soooo soft to the touch that it feels more like silk.
Sounds like you might have some cotton lawn on your hand. I love, love, love cotton lawn. Might be a little thin for quilting, but is an excellent candidate for summer blouses.