Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding question >

Binding question

Binding question

Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 AM

I read bias binding lasts longer but the same article said double fold binding would last about 100 years. I use bias binding when I have a scalloped edge or when I use striped or checked fabrics. A gingham bias binding is really adorable as are stripes. Otherwise I use WOF strips put together on a diagonal.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:30 AM

I always use bias binding. Cut 2 1/2 inches wide, folded once, stitched to front by machine, turn to back and hand stitch it down. It just lays so much better for me done that way.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
............. The only time I made a bias binding was when I put binding on a wedding ring quilt and that took a lot more fabric and I really wasn't fond of doing it.........
I am ready to attach the binding to a double wedding ring. What advise can you give me, especially at the "vee" of the scallop? (Photo) I normally cut my binding at 2 1/4". This gives me a 3/8" finish on the front. I would like to make it a little wider because of frayed edges (photo). Should/Can I miter to get a smooth look at the "vee"? (Vintage). Any ideas/experiences/suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4E70AD2D-C308-43A3-A24F-2D1FDF732A42.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	607623   Click image for larger version

Name:	05C533F4-78D3-4788-A85E-61B6CEBECE8E.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	607624  

Last edited by Ellen 1; 01-30-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Using bias binding
Old 01-30-2019, 12:00 PM

I just use bias binding for everything. It is what I learned first, and when I have tried straight binding, I always end up with it beginning to twist (arggggg!). It is the first method I learned, and don’t remember where, is to start with a large square of fabric, fold it on the biases, and cut. I do have to join many strips, but that is just part of the process to me. I have a sit down adjustment on my ironing board so I can sit and get it all pressed at once. From what I have read here, bias binding is the most durable, and I am OK with that.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
I am ready to attach the binding to a double wedding ring. What advise can you give me, especially at the "vee" of the scallop? (Photo) I normally cut my binding at 2 1/4". This gives me a 3/8" finish on the front. I would like to make it a little wider because of frayed edges (photo). Should/Can I miter to get a smooth look at the "vee"? (Vintage). Any ideas/experiences/suggestions?
This video and a few others are what helped me figure it out.

https://youtu.be/Vci9-li3aYU
Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I use bias binding on curves or if I want to use straight-striped fabric and put it on the diagonal. Otherwise I cut it either way, straight with the grain. I would use bias binding for everything if it were not so much more work. By the time I start to bind a quilt, I just want it finished.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Joe

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I don't know the term molar for binding either, but I know I make "fangs" when I put the fabric back together after cutting on the diagonal. I think if you look at it from the top, it does look like a tooth with two roots -- what I call the fangs. That voice inside me always corrects "those are pennants, dear", but I can remember fangs
This right here is the molar method, I'll try to find a tutorial on it but it's probably the same method you all use for bias binding just under a different name
Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM
Joe

This is what I call the molar method I learned it from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting which was my first quilting book. Sounds like bias takes longer but is more durable, so I'll probably use that if I have time and straight grain of I'm rushed. https://makeit-loveit.com/make-conti...s-tape-binding Thanks everyone for your replies

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-03-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic
Old 01-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Joe

Funny I only used the term molar method because I thought everyone would know what I meant lol. That was the method I used when I first started quilting now I use this method. You don't need a square (can use rectangle) and there is a chart for sizing on it as well. http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/c...20requirements
Old 01-30-2019, 07:00 PM

I use both. Depends on the quilt and the fabric I bind with and the results I want. And thanks for the molar explanation. I was really scratching my head over that one. Always learning something here.