Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your favorite brands of good quality fabric for colors, prints and batiks >

what are your favorite brands of good quality fabric for colors, prints and batiks

what are your favorite brands of good quality fabric for colors, prints and batiks

Old 02-04-2019, 06:51 AM

I will choose Moda over Kona any day especially for solids. I found Kona will bleed more so than Moda. I used to buy a lot of Connecting Threads fabrics but have found them to ravel easier than others especially lately. Seems their quality has dropped somewhat. Now I go to Marshall's and Quilted Twins sites to buy my fabrics and I've never been disappointed in the quality. Also will hit Hancock of Paducah when I can't find what I'm looking for as they have a large selection of all types of fabrics.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:42 AM

My absolute favorite for solids is Northcott Colorworks. But, it is hard to find. Alot of shops carry Northcott fabrics in the prints and under shops on the website, they include the prints. I like the solids. They must have had a "introductory offer" at one time on the solids because when I first started using it, shops had a range of solids. Now it is hit or miss if they have the color I want. I get my LQS to order the white by the bolt for me.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:43 AM

I also like Northcott Colorworks for solids. It has a really nice feel to it and there is a wide variety of colors including different shades of black and white. I use the different shades of whites, blacks and greys alot depending on the project. When using these colors be sure to check the color codes because although it may be slight there are different shades - for example there is a soft white and a bright white and also the same in black.

Northcott has great blenders and prints too. In addition I like most Moda and Michael Miller.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:41 PM

I used to buy fabrics from JoAnn's as that is all I could afford at the time but now that life is treating me better I find I really like to buy fabrics by Moda, Hoffman or Maywood. I recently just purchased some Kona White from my lqs and it is really nice to work with. I had never used Kona fabric before but have heard good things about it.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM

I agree that Northcott has very nice quality, however I rarely like their prints (just personal taste) My all time favorite that I seek out is Art Gallery - love the quality and the designers.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 AM

Moda is consistently good.

For solids Bella and Kona.

There are lots of nice brands, you can get familiar with the lines by looking at a local quilt shop.

JAF is used by a lot but it can be rougher and not as thick as some of the known quilting brands.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 AM

I used to always buy Kona for solids. Not JoAnne's, but quilt shop Kona. It has become "shreddy." Seriously interfering with the time spent on cleaning up the flimsy before taking it to the LAer. So will be in the area of Quilted Twins and hope to find them open to purchase some white that doesn't shred.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 AM

In my short quilting history, I've used most everything. I've learned to be a better judge of fabric over the last couple of years. Recently, I needed a colorful print on black for the backing of an I Spy quilt. I bought some Andover from MarshallDryGoods.com. It was the softest, smoothest quilting fabric I've ever purchased. It was my first use of that brand. I'll definitely be a customer in the future.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 02-05-2019 at 06:50 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-05-2019, 06:37 PM

It varies as I have found expensive fabric designers feeling cheap and inexpensive fabric feeling expensive. I go by feel and will buy at walmart , Joanne’s, and high end quilt shops.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Kona and Bella solids

PB Textiles for tone on tones

Prints--love Northcott, Maywood, PB Textiles, Moda, RJR, Free Spirit

Batiks--Moda (although I seldom buy batiks for myself)

Flannel--Maywood

Those are my favorites, but not what I buy most often because of cost. I've been happy with Connecting Threads.