Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There's Got to be an easier way! >

There's Got to be an easier way!

There's Got to be an easier way!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:51 AM

I have two 6 foot long folding banquet tables so my basting area is 72 x 60. I tape the legs together so the tables don't move apart and I bought scads of large binder clips at Walmart to clamp the quilt down. I also use PVC pipe sections to get the tables higher...they're just high enough so if I bend over I can reach halfway across. When I'm finished I can fold the tables and store them.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I use a 30 X 72 table and clamps. I use the clamps to hold the first section of the backing; smooth on the batting and lay on the top. I pin or glue (Elmer's) that first section. If I use the glue method I let it dry completely. Then, I move that section off the table and used the clamps to fasten a new section to the table with the clamps and repeat the process. I have good success using this method and I can walk when I'm finished. I could not do the hands and knees thing! You might also look up Sharon Schambler's video on using boards that are 1 X 4's. I like that method also.
I do mine like that. I use my dining room table. Haven't had any trouble. I use pin basting.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I watched a Youtube video that Rob Arpel did (mansewing). You might like his technique.
Wow, that must have been tough for you. I hate that part of quilting
Old 02-08-2019, 06:40 AM

Wow, thank you for all of your thoughtful replies. These are all great ideas for my next quilt. I think my town library might be able to help me out.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:44 AM

I use Sharon Schamber's board basting method. It can be seen on YouTube. So much easier to sit and baste...
Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
I have two 6 foot long folding banquet tables so my basting area is 72 x 60. I tape the legs together so the tables don't move apart and I bought scads of large binder clips at Walmart to clamp the quilt down. I also use PVC pipe sections to get the tables higher...they're just high enough so if I bend over I can reach halfway across. When I'm finished I can fold the tables and store them.
I use the folding tables too for glue basting. The tables that fold in the middle are easy to store. I use three of them with pvc pipe to raise up to non back breaking height. Never had to tape the legs together though, the tables are sturdy enough not to move.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:42 AM

I use a regular size (old) dining room table. Or I use my big kitchen island. I spread out one of the top corner areas of the backing/batting/quilt top. Usually my husband has to help me get it all even. The rest of everything just hangs off and I find the weight of all that keeps it smooth enough for me to pin. So I pin that section, then keep moving everything to finish the pinning. The problem part is making sure the backing is not puckering. My quilts turn out with no puckers on the back though so it works for me. There is no way I could get down and kneel on the floor, and I don’t even have a place big enough for that.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
I use Sharon Schamber's board basting method. It can be seen on YouTube. So much easier to sit and baste...
Me,too, though I pin mine, not baste it. I use a pool noodle for the batting and white primed boards for the quilt top and back. I just did a king on my DR table with a folding table on one end.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I have a small house and not much space either of wall or floor or furniture for that matter. I do a lot of layout on top of our queen bed, it may be hard on the back but it's easier than the floor! Currently I have one of those extra large cutting mats, or I've used heavy brown paper rolls (gotten at school supply store). Obviously this works well for small projects, not so good for larger.

It's an issue for many of us. I've been using a friend's long arm set up for my larger quilts for the last couple of years, but it doesn't look like it will be available for my use this year, so sandwiching is again an effort. I've been thinking of putting up an ad on Craig's List hoping to find a home machine I could use and for which I would pay, if for nothing else but to sandwich and baste the tops together. I feel fairly confident though that in my area there is someone relatively nearby who isn't using their machine as much as they thought and would like to get some return on their investment.

Many fire houses, libraries, or other public buildings have rooms (and those nice large tables) for public use. Sometimes a small fee, sometimes all you have to do is ask. I know some people who have access to their church halls, or who are school volunteers and use lunch rooms. You might also see if a large local nursing home or senior center has a community room, my friends belong to a guild that meets in such a place.
May I ask where you're located (how near Seattle)? I'm in Puyallup and may be able to accommodate your basting needs
Old 02-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting_Witch View Post
Hey Everybody,

I'm working on a jelly roll race quilt with a border, and it was too big to pin at my dining room table. When I'm pinning larger quilts, I lay it out on the living room floor an pin it there, on hands and knees. This one took me nearly two hours on hands and knees to pin. Physically it was a misery.

How do you all pin larger quilts that are too big to lay out on a table? There's GOT to be an easier way than what I do! Please enlighten me with your collective wisdom.

Thank you!
You must have been reading my mind...I was wondering how everyone else did their basting. I had an accident last Feb...a bad one...had 3 breaks...have two pins and a metal plate in ankle area. I got fracture blisters and was towards the end of May before I could put weight on my foot. I must have injured my knee when I fell, because it kills me to be on the floor pin basting. I will be okay for maybe half an hour, and then I can barely move.

I have used the method where everything is centered on a table and used binder clips to hold secure while I pin basted...I was not crazy about it, but thinking I might try it again. I have tried and tried to think of an easier way to do it.