Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skills challenge at retreat >

Skills challenge at retreat

Skills challenge at retreat

Old 02-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I went to my first retreat some years ago and it was very dry, low humor. No one talked to each other much and it was like everyone was in their own sewing private space. I wanted to see what everyone was sewing and ask questions but I got the impression no one wanted to be bothered. It took a long time before going to another one but what a difference. The ladies and a couple of men were were there and we had a blast. People were laughing and talking. We could roam around the room and see all the projects and no one gave me the don't bother me look. Now that is the type of retreat worth going to.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM

I'm going to a quilt retreat early in March. There are 24 of us. It's a regular retreat center. Each has their own room.
We have done it for 3 years. I don't do the walks, trips to the quilt shop, games, etc. We have 12 in each big room and I've come to like the ladies and look forward to seeing them. I just set up my stuff and sew for 3 days. Some gad about, cruise around to see what everyone is doing. Walk around talking. I just sit and sew. Try to really take advantage of not cleaning, cooking, or running around. I'm happy to just sit and sew. I precut my project. I come ready. Do what you want to achieve at your retreat. I don't do group projects. Although one time we made each other name badges before we got there. That was cute. I used a leftover crazy quilt block, cut down. Added some stuff and her name. Sometimes we bring a fat quarter to trade. One of the ladies gave a tutorial on folding and sewing a square so it was 3D and looked like a bow. A few times after that I saw several people had made whole quilts out of the bow squares. Utube it to see a video. Let me see if I can find the link.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 AM

I found it. http://mylifeisastitch.blogspot.com/...-obsessed.html
It's made from a 5" square , folded and hand sewn. Everyone seemed to like it. They were still talking about it the next retreat.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I went to my first retreat some years ago and it was very dry, low humor. No one talked to each other much and it was like everyone was in their own sewing private space. I wanted to see what everyone was sewing and ask questions but I got the impression no one wanted to be bothered. It took a long time before going to another one but what a difference. The ladies and a couple of men were were there and we had a blast. People were laughing and talking. We could roam around the room and see all the projects and no one gave me the don't bother me look. Now that is the type of retreat worth going to.
My guild retreat sounds like the one you described above. Lots of conversations, viewing of other's projects, good food and many finished quilts! Lots of affirmations and encouragement! I love that when I run into a snag or problem, there is someone there to help me figure it out. A retreat or two ago, I got to "pay it back" by helping a newbie quilter figure out how to use some print fabric in fussy cut blocks for a quilt for her husband. She was proud of the finish and I got to give back just a tiny bit of all the help I have received at our retreats.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the input, and maybe "skills" challenge wasn't the right title!
This is the second annual retreat with most of the same sewers coming back. The individuals vary in their interactions during sewing times - some wander and look, some sit and sew, other pair up with a friend, but all are very friendly and sociable. In the evening we had a couple games, mostly to help all of us get to know each other if we weren't acquainted already. It was a very successful retreat with everyone wanting a repeat this year.
The first time our activities were 1- we had a pen/paper type of activity and 2 - a 2 1/2 inch strip activity.
I've been nominated to organize the games this go round and due to popular requests, the strip activity will be repeated. I have a pen/paper type of activity planned and had thought a small sewing based activity would be fun. I didn't want anything that would take more than a few minutes, recognizing most if not all of us are there to sew!

What I think we'll do is an activity based on a log cabin that I've brainstormed with a friend - not overly time consuming, not overly competitive and winner can choose to take the finished squares or donate to a group that does charity quilts. Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Default Skills

One activity we did in our group- everyone named their favorite quilting tool and why. And then they named a Quilting product they had bought that was useless or that they never used.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrsWiggs View Post
One activity we did in our group- everyone named their favorite quilting tool and why. And then they named a Quilting product they had bought that was useless or that they never used.
That's a cool idea!!! I think I'll include this one!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
When I go to retreat I find too many games and activities a distraction--we have discounts to several LQS, so there are visits to shop and one retreat participant has a relative that will open her shop up after hours for a post dinner trip. Plus we have a massage therapist there we can choose to pay for a massage--Big Hit! And since we go to a camp, there is a chance to take a walk, etc. Guess my point is that when I'm sewing I want to be working on my own projects. Once we each did a maple leaf block (materials provided) and the organizer then made it into a quilt for charity from us all.
I do like when a participant gives a very short (5-10 min) update on a tool or method.
My thoughts exactly! Unless you have a group requesting a skills challenge. I wouldn't be interested it in myself. and ditto on " However I do like learning something new or new way or doing an old thing"

Last edited by love to sew; 02-17-2019 at 07:15 PM.