Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilters. Bulky seams >

Long arm quilters. Bulky seams

Long arm quilters. Bulky seams

Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Default Long arm quilters. Bulky seams

Hi, was wonder how you get over those bulky seams that are created by the lone star quilt? I was planning to just do the continuous curve through the diamonds, and well that isn't working out as my needle gets hung up at the bulk of the seams uggggg. Any suggestions? Would moving my hopping foot higher help or is that even a good idea? Thanks for any help in this matter....yes I posted earlier about this lone star and what to do for background fill (I decided to just do swirls and paisely design)...
Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Did you swirl the seam allowances? Sometimes hammering the seams with a hammer helps, also. But both those thoughts sound a little late, if your quilt is already on the frame.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

Yes, definitely move your foot higher. This is precisely why it is adjustable.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:15 AM

with the glide foot (bowl) I have no problem going over them at all. I do twril seams and trim to keep them flat.

I did this one with a computer design, and the stitching went smack dab though the very center!

Old 02-19-2019, 04:33 AM

I use my Glide foot on my Handi Quilter. See if your machine manufacturer has a spoon type foot.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:14 AM

I've taken a hammer to them, and also modified the stitching design to slide closely past the bulk.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 AM

Thanks guys, unfortunately this is a quilt that was brought to me to have quilted..This long arm was appliqued on with ribbon to a white background. It's already on the long arm so I'm stuck with what I have to work with. I know that if I raise my hopping foot to high it will cause skipped stitches. I own a Queen Quilter 18 so don't have a glide foot option. Uggg. I have thought about one big feather in each large diamond section and trying to avoid those seams....Has any of you Long Arm quilters raised you hopping foot?
Here is my first post about this quilt To Long arm Quilters....S.O.S. Need help

Last edited by btiny36; 02-19-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 AM

It's not only a problem with the foot but also if the needle happens to land right at the bulkiest place. I alter the pattern so I can quilt around the area. Makes each row longer to set up but solves the problem.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Yes, I had a period of doing double bats on quilts and raised my hopping foot for that. Wasn't that hard to do on my Gammill, but I understand your hesitancy as I was worried about it too(first time). I have also used my 3lb rubber mallet on one of my own quilts (and early one) that had too many points coming together in one spot and I hadn't either pressed over the seams or could twirl them open. I just sprayed with water and but a solid surface under the quilt and hammered away on the "bumps" where seams met. Worked fine.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:58 AM

About a week ago I was having the same problem and Sewbiz advised me to raise the presser foot. It worked really well. Then, after a day or so, my machine started skipping very badly so I adjusted it down a bit and that seemed to solve the problem. My machine is a Juki 2200.