Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim rag quilt >

Denim rag quilt

Denim rag quilt

Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 AM

I have made one denim rag quilt for a queen size bed. I only used a red bandana print for the back and no batting or fleece. Everyone is right on this one - they are quite heavy. It wears like iron and is very warm.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM

I make jean quilts all the time. I use my stretch stitch that sews it like it would be sewn 3 times, I do this another time so it's like sewing it 6 times. If your normal sewing once and it comes out it is really hard to fix I was told. I have made over 60 and donated them.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Wow! I guess I have my work cut out for me! I kind of like the idea of a muslin in the middle with the flannel backing or using 2 layers of flannel. If I used corduroy for backing, I don't think I'd get the chenille effect on the front that I'm looking for. Besides, isn't corduroy an apparel fabric? I just don't see corduroy as an option. I definitely am glad I asked about this, as I would never have thought about the stretch stitches and doubling them too! This quilt will last my grandson forever and a day! Any more thoughts on the corduroy?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

JoPilc...laughing a little at your apparel fabric remark concerning corduroy...ummm I think denim is too! The corduroy would work just as well as denim...but adds a different softer texture and a myriad of colors could be available.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I made a rag quilt with cotton squares and red speckled corduroy squares. ragged well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	corduroy front (2) copy.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	609220  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:51 PM

I vote to use batting. yes it will be heavy.. but it jeans it will be heavy anyway. I have repaired a couple of jean quilts and I strongly believe that the batting helps to keep the jeans from wearing on the backing fabric. The batting cushions the jeans so they don't "eat" into the flannel. That just my thoughts though and it will depend on how the quilt is put together anyway
Old 02-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I would definitely consider going with just 2 layers. I make a 3-layer flannel quilt (top, batting, and backing) and it is very heavy. I like heavy quilts, but you need to be able to at least roll over.
This reminds me of when I was a little girl, the first grandchild. I would sometimes spend the night with my mom's aunt and sleep in a full size bed by myself. The only heat was a heater in the living room. They would put about three or four heavy quilts on me and I couldn't turn over at all. I slept on my back all night. I couldn't do that now. haha
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 PM

I made one for my grandson for Christmas. Denim and flannel. No batting. Very heavy. Needed help to sew last rows