Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with? >

Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with?

Quilting threads for the Sweet 16 HQ & is poly. as good as cotton to quilt with?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 AM

I have. A sweet 16. I use superior so fine 50 in the bobbin and sometimes on top, especially when I’m looking for a more subtle effect . I found the machine works really well with Magnifico with sofine 50 in the bobbin.when I want the quilting to stand out a bit more. These are both polyester, magnifico is easier in my machine.

auriful cotton 50 works well on top and bottom. . Better even than sofine in my machine.

my sweet 16 is more finicky about tension adjustments than my Janome 6600. After a little practice I’ve been able to use any thread, including superior metallic with sofine 50 in the bottom. I have a lot of sofine 50, auriful 50, and Magnifico.

ive also used a variegated cotton YLI thread that was beautiful but linty. Haven’t tried my king tut but I bet it would work well. Make sure you have the appropriate needle for each thread. This really helps.

hope that helps. Have fun.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 AM

I do not quilt for money. I quilt for charity and myself. I use Connecting threads Essential Pro. It is a poly. I have a 20 year old HQ16 and never a problem with this thread. It is a huge bargain.

I use Superior Bobs prewound as I do not have a bobbin winder. This combo works great for me
Old 03-03-2019, 06:05 PM

My go-to is SoFine #50--it's a non-shiny poly. I also like PermaCore and for very dense quilting, MicroQuilter. If I can't really decide on a thread color due to the fabric, I use Superior MonoPoly (clear or smoke). I also like Glide for a little more "bling" to the thread. I've also used YLIcotton and King Tut--but find cotton pretty linty and sometimes when I'm moving pretty fast, I have trouble with breakage. I also use a #50 trilobal Marathon in "old" gold and a silver white and really like the outcome with both.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:45 PM

Thank you feline fanatic for such an informative reply regarding thread! I used cotton quilting thread exclusively on my HQSS for several years. The lint is annoying and time consuming. After taking it in for servicing I was introduced to Glide thread. The dealer I visited for servicing (my machine was purchased online and shipped to me) had me try it out. It's lovely to work with. However it's a big change from cotton thread for me. I worry about the thread cutting the quilt. Sounds crazy I'm sure.

I did find that my stitches using Glide are beautiful! It has really fired up my fmqing again. In addition to quilting quilts and bags I'm particularly interested in fabric painting, thread painting and art quilting. In your opinion, if I may ask, is Glide appropriate for those applications?