Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed: How to cut fabric >

Advice needed: How to cut fabric

Advice needed: How to cut fabric

Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
The only thing about straight line quilting is the need for binding and that's a whole 'nuther project that I'm not ready to tackle. I don't like binding my own quilts much less 20.
Can you or someone machine bind them? I can machine bind a quilt in about 30 minutes, but less if the binding is already made. I usually attach to the back and bring to the front so that I can see exactly where I'm stitching on the side that matters. You can also use a decorative stitch. In my opinion, machine binding is more secure than hand binding, and since most kids quilts are washed fairly often, it would hold up better over time.

I think the idea to have separate kits with names on them is a wise one since there have been numerous threads on the board about doing group projects and conflicting seam allowances within the group. Trying to match blocks that different people have made can be difficult when the seam allowances differ. It would be nice to come to the group and have everything I needed in a bag, but you could also tell people to bring a sewing kit of sorts with their personal scissors/seam ripper/etc so that you only have to deal with the fabric (and thread?) part of it.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Jelly roll race quilts are fast and fun to do too. You could do them in multi colored strips or planned.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
Can you or someone machine bind them? I can machine bind a quilt in about 30 minutes, but less if the binding is already made. I usually attach to the back and bring to the front so that I can see exactly where I'm stitching on the side that matters. You can also use a decorative stitch. In my opinion, machine binding is more secure than hand binding, and since most kids quilts are washed fairly often, it would hold up better over time.

I think the idea to have separate kits with names on them is a wise one since there have been numerous threads on the board about doing group projects and conflicting seam allowances within the group. Trying to match blocks that different people have made can be difficult when the seam allowances differ. It would be nice to come to the group and have everything I needed in a bag, but you could also tell people to bring a sewing kit of sorts with their personal scissors/seam ripper/etc so that you only have to deal with the fabric (and thread?) part of it.
That's a good idea Stephie to keep one person's blocks separate so they will fit together. I was apprehensive about getting everyone to set their 1/4" seam the same.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:20 PM

“Mary Quilts” can be googled for her free, simple “Strippy Quilt” directions. Very good donation quilt pattern and in my opinion, easier than cutting squares and matching corners. Three extra strips (each 3.5”) can be pieced to make side borders & finishes the quilt nicely (but not necessary).

1.) 5 @6.5”. (focus fabric). (32” needed)
2.) 10 @1.5”. (1/2 yard needed)
3.) 6 @3.5” (plus 3 for side borders as explained above). (32” needed)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:21 PM

All suggestions are good. However, I have been quilting for 9 years now and have never found straight line quilting to be easy - unless the word 'straight' is defined very loosely.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:43 PM

But if you take the words 'straight line quilting' loosely, you can gently curve that line randomly. Try keeping the quilting lines about 2 inches apart, alternate the direction and it can be a lot of fun. I have done several baby quilts this way and it is very forgiving. I think new quilters would love to doing this part. And a quilt of this size can be rolled tightly enough to fit into the harp of most machines.

But I am wondering why this specific size. Are these quilts meant to cover the kids' beds? If so, a twin sized quilt would be more around 70x90 inches. I don't understand what use 'lap quilts' would be for children.

Last edited by GingerK; 03-05-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Misseva--I commend your efforts and am kind of involved with a similar effort at my church for quilts of all sizes for kids going into the foster care system. Since I long arm quilt,and could not attend the day that they gathered to work on quilts, I volunteered to do any needed quilting and would donate the backing and bat. So far I have received 4 quilts--all had been bound and none had bat! Plus the seamstress, due to age, had not pressed the fabric creases out entirely and there were pucker problems to say the least. So these were quilted with a large meander and could be used as coverlets. I'm expecting the last 3-5 to also have a few issues--I know that one did as I saw it. the organizer was given lots of fabrics--most not actual quilt cotton, and a couple of machines and a Girl Scout troop to help the few sewers that showed up. So I definitely agree with others--kit up simple block (4 or 9 patch, jelly roll, rail fence, etc). If all sewing is going to be together you can do like we do with our beginner classes--create a 1/4" using moleskin or a stack of post-its and "mark" that 1/4" seam to enable better fit with blocks. Can I also suggest that maybe instead of having the youth do quilts, that you teach them simple sewing on large tote bags (most kids in group living don;t have a way to baggage their stuff) or bed organizers (drop pockets that allow them to keep a book, phone, flashlight, water bottle attached to their bed) or a simple pillow--making a quilt can be pretty intimidating. I worked with a group of 8th graders, all with a sewing class under their belt, making a QOV and it was pretty frustrating! Good luck!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:14 AM

Emphasize to sewers that they have to be a certain size finished block or there will be problems sewing the blocks together. Ask me how I know!!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:28 AM

I’m going to emphasize again: a Strippy Quilt (my earlier post here) is side to side sewing. No blocks. Won’t matter if seam is 1/4” or something else. People with all sewing skills can have success.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-08-2019 at 06:44 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 AM

I am also concerned about tying the quilts. They would have to be laundered and they may not hold up to that. I make quilts for the NICU that cared for my granddaughters every year and those have to hold up to the hospital laundry! No one at a children's home is going to be able to take time and care cleaning all those quilts, they are going to be thrown in the laundry!