Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a long arm? >

Should I buy a long arm?

Should I buy a long arm?

Old 03-13-2019, 07:12 AM

As one who bought a used Innova, I'd say it sounds like a great deal. Used Innova's do not come on the market very often because their owners love them. Even though I bought mine used, the local dealer has adopted me as one of their own and provides me with great support. If you don't have to rob a bank to make the purchase, I'd say go for it!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I am in the mood to buy a new LA set up. We bought a new house and it was under our budget so I have half the leftover to play with, DH the other half. He has already spent his. LOL I have had two, all given to me but I never bonded with either of them. I gave them to friends who are very happy with them. I have been taking weekend trips to various dealers to try different set ups. I am thinking about the Lenny. https://www.apqs.com/machines/Lenni/
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM

I put out a similar question on another site and one person suggested asking yourself if you really enjoy the quilting part of the process and others suggested renting one someplace. I found a place near me to take a class and then rent their machines for me this is the solution. I don't have to give up space and lots of money and still have a way to use a long arm occasionally without the pressure of having a machine and feeling guilty for not using it.. And I do not want to have a business. The part of the quilting process I enjoy the most is the designing and piecing so that influenced the decision as well.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 AM

well honestly only you can answer that. I bought mine about 8 years ago it was used and old no whistles or bells on her but she does quilt very nicely , I use pantographs and self quidded. I purchased it from nolting the longarm company they guaranteed it for one year. I have not had any issues with it except operator errors. The longarm company people who sell them probably will have used ones you could purchase at a lower price. Please check them out for a good deal.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:30 PM

I went back and looked at the listing. It was made in 2015. It has Pantovision and lightning stitch. What makes lightning stitch better than the regular stitch regulator?
Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Threadbanger View Post
I went back and looked at the listing. It was made in 2015. It has Pantovision and lightning stitch. What makes lightning stitch better than the regular stitch regulator?
It is super responsive. You never get the one longer stitch that often happens when going from a dead stop into a motif, like the long sweep of a feather frond or changing directions on a straight line. I honest thought I was pretty happy with the standard SR until I got my L/S. It took me about a year to decide to spend the $4K to upgrade but after I upgraded I was kicking myself for not having done it sooner.
Many more choices of stitch length. I believe the standard only goes as high as 14 spi and the LS goes up to 20 something (great for doing micro work) and going the opposite way it has large basting mode too the regular s/r didn't.
The control is a touch pad on the front of the machine, the standard was mounted at the back of the machine.
You can upgrade to Innova's robotic system which requires L/S. Not sure what would be involved to upgrading to robotics with a 3rd party system.

Edited to add that is a great price with pantovision (and lightening stitch) which is a way of doing pantos from the front of the machine. Instead of following a paper pattern with a laser light from the back, you are following pointer on a screen mounted to the machine and working from the front. Very convenient for spotting right away if something has gone wrong, like a thread break or bad tension all of a sudden. I am pretty sure it comes loaded with a bunch of designs. I don't know much more about it.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM

I purchased my first quilting machine HandiQuilter 16 - to learn on, then sold it a couple of years later upgraded to HandiQuilter Avante - then last year sold it and upgraded to HandiQuilter Fusion. These are fantastic machines. In the future I can see moving to the HQ Forte and purchase the ProStitcher for that one. Have never been disappointed with any of these machines.. Go for it.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I don't know anything about longarms but it sounds like you want to get one so I hope you find what you want!
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 AM

Good advice given here. Here's my .02 (which is only worth about half of that!) I purchased a used one, just for reference...

* Is there a dealer for That brand close by?
* Do they offer classes on machines not purchased in their shop?
* Will they service machines not purchased in their shop?

Ask my why this is important (oy!).

These are Great machines and do some amazing things, but they are also temperamental beasties and have the ability to test the patience of a saint.

My personal position, I wish I would have purchased a new, but one with less bells/whistles, so I could have had the shop support.
Can it work out? Of course, it just depends on the answers to my first three questions.

Good luck!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-14-2019, 10:17 AM

Close! I think it's https://longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html#sale