Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one? >

Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one?

Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one?

Old 03-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
has anyone used Uline mats? or Calibre Arts mats? Martelli may be out of my reach. I have so many blades by Olfa i want to continue to be able to use those. both my olfa mats are old but do not smell. i surely do not want one that does. or have a warning from California about it containing cancer causing chemicals.
Thanks ... you got my attention about ULine.
Link here is to their Canadian site ....
https://www.uline.ca/BL_1174/Self-He...f+Healing+Mats
Wow, what a difference in price to all the other brands!

I'll echo NativeTexan's query .... has anyone used ULine Mats? and your thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I have my first green mat from the early eightys. No lines. I had it cut in half so my daughter could have a part of it.
I have found that when I cut batts, they really stick to my new mats but not as much to this old mat.
I have cut batting with a layer of newspaper over the mat, under the batting. It prevents the batting from embedding itself into your cutting mat.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 PM

I have Olfa mats, including both sizes of the rotating mats, which I like. But today I bought a Fiskars rotating mat at JoAnn's with a 60% off coupon. I'm thinking I would like one that isn't so dark, and the Fiskars one is a light grey. The size is between the 2 Olfa rotating mats. I haven't tried it yet, but it says it's self-healing, so I have high hopes for it.

Leslie
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
Neither!

After using about every mat out there, I have found that the Martelli mats and Quilters Select mats outlast and out perform any other on the market. So - I watch for sales and get mine then.
I also have both of these mats & really like them both. The Quilters Select also has the measurements going both ways. 1,2,3...& then next to that is 17,16,15. I know, don't use the mat lines for cutting but I do to straighten the edges of my fabric. Highly recommend the Quilter's Select products. Sign up for emails from Martelli to get advance notice of sales.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:09 AM

I have always had Olfa but when I need a new mat I may try Martelli. My mats do last a long time. The older Olfa mats where softer and had a gray side to provide contrast that the green did’t With some fabrics.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:41 AM

I had a Fiskers mat for several years and I was having to replace my rotary blade almost every week. I needed to replace this mat and I had a coupon for 40% off at Hobby Lobby. I bought an Olfa from there...I was amazed at how much longer my rotary blades last with the new mat!!!!

Originally Posted by obrienwv View Post
I can't decide between the 18 x 24 Fiskars and Olfa rotary cutting mat. Which do any of you prefer? Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:17 AM

Martelli mats. They are heavy and costly but they do have sales. One side is yellow the other lilac. Love this mat. I have the large one on my cutting table. No cut marks self healing. Don't think I will ever have to buy another one. Mine also came with a carrying tote as well.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I really like my Quilter's Select best. It has a dark side and light side so it's perfect to see what i'm doing.
I like Olfa and have several. Never had a Fiskar's so I don't know about that one.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

quilters select i also saw. but can i use my Olfa blades on these???. i have a lot of them. ready to put in a new one but not yet (I am cutting denim right now).
Old 03-17-2019, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
quilters select i also saw. but can i use my Olfa blades on these???. i have a lot of them. ready to put in a new one but not yet (I am cutting denim right now).
Native, I use all sorts of blades with mine.