Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Machine Quilting in Sections" by Marti Michell- Has Anyone Tried This? >

"Machine Quilting in Sections" by Marti Michell- Has Anyone Tried This?

"Machine Quilting in Sections" by Marti Michell- Has Anyone Tried This?

Old 03-16-2019, 04:45 AM

Betty Cotton has a book: "Cotton Theory" The process is patented. All blocks are sandwiched with batt and back and sewn with a one inch seam on the Right side. Then the seam allowances are folded and held down with a decorative stitch. Makes a beautiful quilt. I made one at least ten years ago. This is a life saver for those who can no longer handle a full sized quilt on the domestic machine. And for those who don't want to, too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 AM

I have quilted many large quilts in sections was time consuming but I always enjoyed it but can no longer do it as my shoulders will not handle the weight. If I appliqued I used the applique stitch for part of the quilting and either cross hatched or stippled around the design. I won many ribbons and was entered in some pretty big shows including Paducah I had 2 that were published in magazines and one in the Quilt Art Engagement calendar so it can be done just practice and I took many classes and put my own technique together with using some from different classes don't be afraid dive in start something small and practice
Old 03-16-2019, 12:46 PM

I bought Marti Michell"s book and I used the "Low Fat" quilting method that she described. I was really happy with it and once the quilting was finished, you could not tell that it was done differently from any other quilt. This is the quilt I used that method on. I also like the fact that the book includes different ways of handling quilts. I think it is worth buying. [ATTACH=CONFIG]610394[/ATTACH][h=2][/h]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	610394  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Sailorwoman, I know you have posted your photo previously but it is one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen!!
Old 03-16-2019, 03:36 PM

Wow, that's a gorgeous quilt! If you can quilt this in sections, I don't see why it wouldn't work for any sized quilt a person could need to do. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:37 AM

I’m chuckling at the moment because I was really interested I. Marti’s book and was going to buy it, but just found it in my great pile of books!! I’m going to read it again as it’s been awhile since I read it last. Thanks so much for the reminder - I do have other books in quilting separate blocks, etc. so I’m hoping I’ll pick up a few tips to try as I have many of Madti’s templates and really like them.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:39 AM

Sailor woman - I love your log cabin quilt and can’t believe it was done in sections. It makes me very hopeful that I might be able to do this, too.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
I bought Marti Michell"s book and I used the "Low Fat" quilting method that she described. I was really happy with it and once the quilting was finished, you could not tell that it was done differently from any other quilt. This is the quilt I used that method on. I also like the fact that the book includes different ways of handling quilts. I think it is worth buying. [ATTACH=CONFIG]610394[/ATTACH]
Wow...beautiful!!! Can I ask what the back looks like? Also the method you mentioned, “Low Fat”, can this be found on her Bluprint class or was it only in one of her books...if only her book, which one?
Thank You for sharing...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-17-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by LadyAg View Post
I am new to quilting and have been worried that it may prove too difficult for me to quilt a bed sized quilt on my home sewing machine. I have no problem attaching turned edge applique pieces with my machine. My concern is in "dragging" so much material around while trying to make attractive stitch shapes that are not pulled out of shape by the resistance from the "mass". This would apply to both feed dog up and down quilting.

I found the above book on quilting individual blocks, or groups of blocks, First and then joining the quilted sections together. Has anyone tried this or a similar technique? Since I am doing different sized applique blocks, I don't think the "Quilt as You Go" method would work for me. I imagine like anything else, there are probably different challenges that would crop up quilting in sections.

Any experience or observations would be greatly appreciated!
I have used Candy Glendenings Quilt by Column. Which I love. I can quilt Any size quilt, and only have to worry about 12"-15" at a time. I have altered the method, in that I now just make the entire backing in one piece and roll it to my right. I also leave 1/2" on the right edge of the quilting which makes it easier to sew the next column on. I have tried a variety of methods, over the years, and Candy make great sense.. no little strips etc. I can make a quilt with or without sashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-17-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps