Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How about this for a Wool Pressing Pad? >

How about this for a Wool Pressing Pad?

How about this for a Wool Pressing Pad?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

So excited, mine has shipped and should arrive in a few days. Looking forward to giving this a try.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I have a compromised source of electricity
Oh my that sounds dangerous.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:53 AM

I would love to hear feedback after you get your wool mats. I am very interested in any odor that may come off of them when ironing.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:11 PM

I haven't yet received the mats as I haven't been up to my friend's house to get them - that happens on Saturday, so Sunday I should have an update for everyone.
I will say, that each 30 x 30 inch mat will be cut into 4 - 15 x 15 size ones and with taxes in, it will be less than $10 (Canadian!) for each of us. No shipping of course certainly helps with the affordability!
Here's hoping they look as good in real life.....if not, I can return them but I'd really rather have them be suitable!
Old 04-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
I haven't yet received the mats as I haven't been up to my friend's house to get them - that happens on Saturday, so Sunday I should have an update for everyone.
I will say, that each 30 x 30 inch mat will be cut into 4 - 15 x 15 size ones and with taxes in, it will be less than $10 (Canadian!) for each of us. No shipping of course certainly helps with the affordability!
Here's hoping they look as good in real life.....if not, I can return them but I'd really rather have them be suitable!
Any update?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I would love to hear feedback after you get your wool mats. I am very interested in any odor that may come off of them when ironing.
I didn't notice any odour when they were just sitting on the cutting table, or when I ironed on them dry. With steam there was a slight odour, certainly not something unpleasant, but I do have to qualify that to say that I'm not overly sensitive to odours.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Dingle - the mats were easy to cut using a paring knife. Then I used craft scissors to round the three corners that weren't rounded by manufacturer. I also vacuumed them before I cut them as the friend who picked them up for me thought they shed. I didn't find that but maybe that's because I vacuumed them as soon as I took them out of the bag.
I think they will work fine. They do hold the heat when pressing and make a nice press.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanks so much! By the way, I have enjoyed your signature "A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!" for a long time.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Thanks so much! By the way, I have enjoyed your signature "A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!" for a long time.

Truer words were never spoke! Except when I want to tell him something I don't really want him to hear or remember....
Old 04-02-2019, 04:35 PM

BTW, to those of you still following this thread, I had a very interesting conversation today with a quilter who is fairly new to our guild...
She said she and a friend bought a length of 100% wool carpet underlay pad for about $20 (US) with free shipping - they cut it in half and had more than enough to drape over the ironing board. She said it's a bit thinner than the "quilting" mats but comparable to the saddle liner pad I had with me. It measures 1/2".
I'm guessing it was a 6 foot width maybe?
Anyway - it's worth investigating if anyone is interested...and if you do, please update the thread on your findings.