2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM

Good job Sue. That is a lot of cutting. Sounds like you have a plan for it.

Sorry about all the extra work though.

I have to be especially mindful of "water works". Because my sewing room is in my Sunroom. Which can and in the past has leaked. I'm pretty well covered with everything I have except the single chest I store my fabrics in. If that gets wet, I am in for a long haul cleanup. Let's hope that never happens. The last time that room leaked, I was able to move everything out of that room on the double. And, nothing major got wet. I was very lucky!
Old 03-27-2019, 05:49 PM

Iceblossom, you are so right in your new philosophy. We all need to remember what wonderful fabrics we already have at home when we see those beautiful ones we are so tempted to buy. Let's keep strong! Turn our backs on the temptations! And use what we have! Good for you!
Old 03-27-2019, 05:56 PM

Had a close call yesterday when Blueprint had their flash sale. $30 off anything over $100 and then a discount on top of that plus sale pricing and free shipping on the 70 something piece fat quarter Boundless Collage brought the price down to around $85. It went into my shopping cart. I looked at all those shades and tints that would fill out my stash and drooled. Looked at my studio to do notebook and realized I wouldn’t be getting around to starting anything needing subtle gradations from lights to darks for at least a year. Looked in my shopping cart and drooled. Looked at my fabric storage and realized my fat quarter spaces are all taken up with those luscious fat quarter bundles of Marcus distressed muslins I bought for my birthday exemption both last year and this year (4 of them total) which added up to 32 yards of fabric that is still being petted and admired but not used. Looked in my shopping cart and drooled some more. Did some stuff around the house. After a couple hours looked in my shopping cart, sighed and removed the Boundless Collage 70 something fat quarter stash box from my shopping cart. Crisis averted!

Rob
Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Lol.....this must have been agony for you, Rob... So proud of you for standing strong and rationalizing. Good job! I was not so strong today...

I was messing around in Etsy today and stumbled on a small business crafter who is shutting down her shop. She was selling yardage of several fabrics for $3.00....she had a Lori Holt collection....2/yd cut for $3.00. And a polka dot...red background/white dots....1/yd, $2.00. Sorry....I bought them both...plus 1/yd of green and white striped $2. All Riley Blake fabrics. Seriously a good buy. She had lots of good buys and pretty fabric but I stopped... I have no plans for them immediately ...oh well! As restitution for my slip, I have denied myself my handful of peanut M&M fix for the night. Believe me...that hurts...
Old 03-28-2019, 04:33 AM

Good for you, Rryder! I know it was really hard, but you beat the temptation!

Teen, you did good, also. It was hard for you to resist buying all that was available. And, you took your punishment!! Just be careful... if you slip up again, it could mean No M&M's for a month!!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 AM

Congrates on not buying on a really good sale everyone that resisted. I wished I did, but I bought 6 years of fabric to make a unicorn throw for my niece. Very simple and s/b easy to throw together. I plan to back it with Minkie another buy). Next month project. I think that is all I bought.

SS, isn’t a month of no M&M’s extreme? LOL. I love my chocolate. Come on can’t we say she can’t sew for 4 hours and have to do chores for 4 hours, okay maybe 2hours, no maybe 30 minutes. LOL.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 AM

IceBlossom, I'm happy for your breakthrough. 'Appreciate and move on' is something that wouldn't have occurred to me before joining the moratorium.

Judith, you are making great progress getting your stash to a size that works for you.

grannof6, gosh, that was a lot of work you got forced into! It must feel great to have it done.

Well done, Rob!

I am neglecting other things to push through and finish my stash En Provence units. I wanted to get them out of the way before I started on binding my current UFO (don't really know why; I could just have easily stacked them somewhere and gotten back to them later). I decided that using this faded floral in the block center would help keep the quilt from looking too grim with all of that subdued green. (It might still look pretty grim, but hey, I'm using stash, LOL.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3006_Fotor.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	610878  
Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 PM

SS, isn’t a month of no M&M’s extreme? LOL. I love my chocolate. Come on can’t we say she can’t sew for 4 hours and have to do chores for 4 hours, okay maybe 2hours, no maybe 30 minutes. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe you are right. A month does sound like a harsh punishment. Maybe a week for a 2nd offense and a month for a 3rd. We have to keep these people in line somehow!!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I am doing my penance for buying the fabric mentioned above. I let myself get roped into making a dragon out of “minky” for my SIL birthday next month. I love the feel of “minky”, but making stuffed animals with it is a whole new skill set. I will post pictures when it is finished. Wish me luck. ��
Quiltah Mama your wish is my command. Here is “Sir Puffington” the dragon. Working with the minky was a little fiddly, but not bad. Do not make “stuffies” out of minky unless you own a good vacuum cleaner! Lol. [ATTACH=CONFIG]610885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]610886[/ATTACH]. My son in law has a thing for minky. Last year for Christmas I made him a minky lined, minky bathrobe out of a dark blue I found because it is his favorite color. This year for his birthday he is getting “Sir. Puffington”. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	B3E78B0D-3CBD-43A8-80B0-2381A592EE72.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	610885   Click image for larger version

Name:	0220D9EB-68C8-4D69-93C0-F06DE72EBBBE.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	610886  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:43 PM

Oh...dragon is so adorable!!! Well done and Kudo's for persevering with Minky. I just gave my entire stash of Minky to my LA who loves the stuff. She got quite the haul and just in time for a new grandchild arriving this summer. Have at it! I really dislike working with that stuff. It's a bummer cuz I love it on the back of quilts but not enough to mess with it. So, I think there was over 7 yards total out of my stash...yea for me!

Serious M&M punishments, people!! I had withdrawals last night and almost had them for breakfast. I held out until after 10a but it was a close call....lol..

Last edited by Teen; 03-28-2019 at 03:45 PM.