Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints >
  • Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

• Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 AM

Default Little Boy/Baby Boy Quilt Fabric Prints

I want to make a baby boy quilt (just in case this new Baby is a boy ) I have my pattern all picked out, MSQC Little Engines from their Baby Block issue. Most of my stash has flower prints. I have never actually made a boy quilt, so my question is how much flowers and swirls do you include in boy quilts you have made before? I'm afraid that just solids and checked shirtings and gingham might be "boring". I'm not "into" the modern greys and stuff for babies either, so I want it to be bright.
    Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 AM

I don’t use florals but use swirls and geometrics and blenders and usually at least 1 novelty print. I don’t like what is popular in nurseries now. My daughter’s friends are starting to figure out they get more from me if I pick the theme. Lol
    Old 03-28-2019, 08:48 AM
    Power Poster

For me, I may add swirls, if only swirls (no flowers). I do not add flowers in a boy quilt. Too many other fun things to include!
    Old 03-28-2019, 12:07 PM

I steer clear of flowers too, but will use pretty much anything else. Since most of my stash is older fabric I rely on colors to say "boy" rather than print patterns on the fabrics.
    Old 03-28-2019, 12:21 PM

I don't put flowery fabrics in boy quilts. Maybe you could find some fabrics with trucks, fire engines, or anything boys seem to like. I made a quilt for our nephew's new son with balloon fabrics and that turned out cute.
    Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM

I usually go with a boyish novelty print and fill in with blenders. I've done trucks; cars; boats; fire trucks; any number of 'boyish' novelty prints and then work in my blenders/solids.
    Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 PM

I usually do as NJ Quilter. Just did two "4 patch" for some twins.. Same pattern just different colors.
    Old 03-28-2019, 03:36 PM
    Power Poster

I usually do like most others. A boy print, teddy bears, other animals, trucks etc. and find solids or blenders in boy colors. I don't like all the new modern colors for my quilts.
    We have grown Grandkids, we have 3 Great Granddaughters and 1 GGS. We are waiting on 2 more GGS. So I may be making a couple boy quilts. The two GD don't really like quilts so I have to wait and see if they want baby quilts.
    If not I will donate them as I donate most quilts.
    Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 PM

Your post reminds me of a quilt I made and is still in my closet. My daughter was expecting a baby boy and of course I wanted to make a quilt. I was into machine embroidery at the time and found this adorable embroidery CD of teddy bears. Some of you embroiders may remember the set, I think-Timeless Teddies was the name. I spent considerable time stitching the squares out then working them into the quilt. When finished it was maybe a little "sweet" for the 10 + baby he turned out to be. I made him something else.
    Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Personally I don't see anything wrong with having some small floral prints in a baby/toddler boy. They're really too young enough to pay attention to things like floral prints in something like a quilt.