Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt? >

How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt?

How Many Prints Are Enough in a Quilt?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think the more the merrier in Scrap quilts look wonderful. In regular quilts, I seldom use more then 5 or 6 as too many fabrics confuse the piecing pattern in my opinion. If you pick a big print fabric, the little dots along the selvages will give you 5 or 6 colours that were in that big print and you can use the dots to pick other colours to go with it.

This I did not know! I always wondered why the dots were there.... Thanks for this useful information!
Old 03-28-2019, 03:59 AM

Personally I enjoy using pre-cuts because of all the colors and prints that go well together. I don't have as many of them as I do yardages that I can use for backings and borders. But when I see one I really like I'll buy it. It may sit here for a year before being used, or I'll "Rob Peter to pay Paul" using part of one collection with another. It's all good to me. Fabric that I no longer have a use for or no longer like I sell off on Facebook. I'm addicted to fabric!!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:32 AM

I agree that much of it is personal preference. I love scrappies but find that I prefer a control fabric--often a solid--to hold it all together. Some of today's fabrics are very busy and can result in a quilt that looks like chaos to me.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:34 AM

as a scrappy quilter I know there are what are disparagingly called vomit quilts...and I've made some, every fabric at hand ends up in the top. An acquired taste, not a favorite of mine.

My answer to what I 'think' you are asking, starts with how many colors in your quilt? These are my absolute favorite to make. one with 3-6 colors in the pattern, but I'll use up to 30-ish greens or oranges or whatever. When beginning it can be really jarring and I did a lot of second guessing on those first blocks.

But the overall projects as so rich... You already have enough fabric for 130-150 tops. Time to start sewing it up.

Edited to add: Welcome to the board!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:42 PM

I like scrappy quilts but get uneasy if they're really busy. I think it usually works best to have some contrast in scale and color value, and if that's under control it really doesn't matter how many fabrics there are per se. As some have put it, your eyes need a place to rest. Having a balance between light and dark, busy and/or bright prints and some that are quieter and more subtle will give a quilt areas of focus. I like to use a value finder. Mine is old and just red, but this page explains the idea: https://www.karencombs.com/page.php?ID=34
Old 03-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Depends, just depends. Sometimes, two is enough. Know what I mean? Sometimes, 8 is enough, you just have to have the quilt kinda talk to you. I think it all depends on the pattern, the colors and the quilter.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 AM

You really will learn best by doing, and learn to trust your gut. Sometimes the color is right, but the scale is off, or vice versa. For checking contrast between dark, light, and mediums so that your design stands out, take a picture
in black and white. The contrast will be easy to see without color interfering.

I generally choose a focus fabric then coordinating prints. I try to make sure I vary the scale, have some tone-on-tone or solids to help the eye rest, and then I fan them all out on the bed. If one just doesn't "feel" right, I remove it. THen a more settled feeling comes over me. I do the picture/"feel"/remove or replace routine until the settled feeling turns absolutely happy. Hard to explain because of the intangible quality of art and aesthetics, but I don't choose my fabrics based on a number unless the pattern is specific. I prefer to use colors in a range rather than a whole lot of the same fabric. And I have no patience for making the same block over and over with the very same fabrics, even though I love the result.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 PM

I think it's all a matter of personal preference. Ditzy or calico prints aren't going to read as distracting as a large scale print might. Of course, I'm making a quilt right now with four different prints in every block and every block is different. Maybe not take my advice if moderation is your aim.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:42 PM

It depends on what pattern you are using and what you are going for. I love scrappies so to me it's the "more the merrier". But if you are doing a more controlled pattern, you are probably going to want to limit the number of fabrics you use.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 PM

I really understand how you feel, pre-cuts makes it easy, always having that easy balance and the all the possible questions taken out. It's hard to begin to 'trust' your eye, and trust your color choices/aesthetic. Letting go and playing in this art/craft/form of expression is challenging for me. I'm a rule-follower by nature (unless the rule makes No sense to me, lol).

I think it's like anything new, you have to try something out - break some eggs as it were - and see what you think afterwards. All the other suggestions to keep looking at designs/finished quilts online here and elsewhere, see what makes you happy...I think that's helpful too. I pin a lot on Pinterest for a quick way to reference things I like. Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-29-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps