Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention Long armers >

Attention Long armers

Attention Long armers

Old 04-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Question Attention Long armers

What machines do you have? What do you like about your machine? What do you wish you could change? I'm researching long arms and would like to purchase in the next year or so. I've been researching but sometimes it's good to hear personal experiences with the machines and their customer support. I plan on going to shows to test drive some different ones. I'm not opposed to buying a used one if it has the features that I want, but would need help learning the machine, how to load the frame etc...because I've never done that before. What have your experiences been?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:13 PM

I love my Innova. I've said it many times before on this board - I have a circle of quilting friends, we started all over the place with our machines. There were a couple of Handiquilters, a Nolting, a Tin Lizzie, APQS, Gammill, Voyager. Gradually over the years, everyone has traded up to an Innova, except for two holdouts, one Gammill and one Handiquilter. I think that says volumes.

My number one piece of advice is don't just test drive a machine - take a class. I took a class from my dealer and felt So comfortable with the machine by the end of the day.

You might read some of the other threads others have started about what machine to buy.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hubby-upped-$$-long-arm-now-im-more-afraid-buy-t276929.html

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hubby-upped-$$-long-arm-now-im-more-afraid-buy-t276929.html

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-11-2019, 04:32 PM

I have a 2006 Gammill Classic Plus(stitch regulator and a 28" harp) on a 14' frame. I bought used from a deceased friend's estate--got a good deal but no lessons, etc. Do Not let that stop you from purchasing a used machine--there are so many YouTube videos, plus I've taken classes at bigger shows and learned more than I would have from the previous owner. So if you get a good price on a good machine--go for it!. You do have to be willing to try stuff--whether you buy used or new--I have a friend that has bought another friend's machine, I've spent some time helping her, she got some other friends to help her--but she's still "afraid"--don't be--if you buy a quality machine it's an Industrial machine!

What I like: Stitch Regulator; sturdy table/frame; large enough frame that I can load almost anything (but I could have easily done that with a 12' table); lockable wheels so I can move it if need be; front & back handles;micro handles; great tech support via phone or I can call and get a tech out pretty quickly; M bobbin (larger one); stand alone & machine bobbin winders both; laser light and a ruler base. When I purchased my used machine I also got 100 bobbins, 4 bobbin cases, 3 trunks of thread cones, some pantos & books, and a case of frequently used parts. I also like that my machine is easy to do repairs by myself--I've done lots of maintenance by myself or with phone support.

What I'd like to have (but can't afford!): hydraulics on the table so I could shift it up/down; and maybe some computer guided (although I love most custom quilting using rulers and FMQ).

What I'd recommend you get: a Towa gauge--saves lots of time getting good tension on the bobbin, extra bobbins, extra bobbin case, Angela Walter's Shape-by-Shape books, Amanda Murphy's quilting ideas books, DeLoa Jones books and her boomerang rulers. A straight edge ruler that fits your hand well. Ruler base, machine with a sturdy table/frame and a harp that allows you to stand straight and quilt to the back of the space without leaning over, some good fatigue mats (even the ones from Walmarts are helpful) , stitch regulator, M bobbins, brand with a good reputation. Try out Lots of machines at a bigger show, check out Long Arm University website (she has some nice checklists and suggestions), take some classes at a shop that allows you to rent time, etc. , Good luck! I love LA quilting--last 'wish'--more time to quilt my own stuff!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I have never regretted buying my Innova. I have upgraded to features that weren't available when I purchased it 9 years ago, such as Lightning Stitch (the best stitch regulator on the market IMHO). One of the nice features of the Innova is that you can make almost any upgrade without having to buy a whole new machine.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM

I too love my Innova. I bought mine after several months of research. It was the best machine for me. There are so many reasons I am pleased with my decision: outstanding machine with a beautiful stitch, great customer service from my dealer and the company, free two day instructional classes for new owners. Make sure you go to a quilt show and test all the machines you might be interested in. It is definitely a personal decision based on what you feel is best for you.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Last year I purchased a Baby Lock Crown Jewel used from a reputable source. This is a basic machine with no computer aided designs and fit my budget. Yes money is a consideration.

I think a lot depends on what you want to do with your machine. I'm 60+ years old and want to finish my own quilts rather than quilt by check, so computer designs were not important to me. Yes there is a learning curve whether you practice at intricate FMQ or setting up your design on the computer.

What is equally important is customer support. I have a BabyLock dealer near me, which is a plus for me.

quiltingshorttimer has some excellent suggestions...thanks for them. This newbie quilter is going to check it out. Meanwhile I'm almost ready to load another quilt on my frame and get another quilt finished.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 PM

I have an HQ Avante' without computerized robotics. I love it, but have never tried anything else. I just quilt for myself, mostly store samples. My Avante' has the "dead bar" that makes it so you don't have to adjust the take-up bar's height as the quilt fills up the take-up bar. The new Amara and Forte' HandiQuilters have some very awesome upgrades that I wish mine had. The frame's front bars can fold down to give more room for ruler work. Plus extra led lights under the throat space. The digital tension reading on the screen is great -- I have that on my Avante'. Customer service is amazing! I love the HQ events that we have at our store 2 times per year. We're having a 3-day event right now with Denise Best!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Innova 26 inches on a 12 foot frame. I would buy the same machine again. It is a the right machine for me. Very light weight, accurate and easy to handle. No tension issues or thread breakage isssues. Oh besure to get lightening stitch. I took about 2 yrs to research and tried many different machines. Take your time. this is a big investment. Besure to get atleast a 22 inch opening and if you want to do Cal King quilts a 12 feet frame.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-11-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 AM
Power Poster

I have an HQ Avante. I love my machine, I traded up from an HQ sweet 16. I have local support- which is to me a big plus. Free new Owner classes and someone close to call or stop in to see for anything that cones up. When I first started longarm quilting I did not have local support. Had to call Utah for any issues - the tech support in Utah are wonderful too. They helped me many times over the phone to troubleshoot and fix issues I had, but it is sure nice to have the local support now.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 AM

I did exactly what you’re going to do - tested them at a show. I found some that were too noisy or too heavy to push, and finally settled on an Innova for the fact that you can do All of the machine maintenance yourself, has 24/7 support (truly!), and it was quiet and is smooth as softened butter!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-12-2019 at 03:33 AM. Reason: shouting/ all caps