Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on Machine Values - Aberdeen Scotland >

Advice on Machine Values - Aberdeen Scotland

Advice on Machine Values - Aberdeen Scotland

Old 04-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Default Advice on Machine Values - Aberdeen Scotland

Hi Ladies and Gents. I have need to de-clutter and sell on machines I never use

Husquvarna Quilt 983 - i think that's the right model. Used for 5 months when I moved onto a Janome 12000. This is all boxed up just wasted.

Singer Featherweight 222K - in pristine condition with full accessories and carry case. Been owned by the same family since purchased. Has had some light use. Been serviced.

Singer 221K - centenary edition. Was a gift bought from Canada by a generous relative. Arrived newly serviced but had a really foul smell. The carry case was dismantled as i tried to get rid of the stench which i found quite nauseating. I have cleaned up the machine and after several weeks enclosed in a sealed bag with coffee granules etc the smell surrounding the machine has gone.

A Babylock embellisher with carry case. Used twice. Dont think im creative enough to make anything with it. Been bagged up and stored since first week i got it.

I've never sold on anything before and i would appreciate any advice aboutv what would be a reasonable price to sell these on for.

Thank you. Any input appreciated.

Last edited by patricej; 04-11-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:53 PM

I would go to ebay and type in your models to see what they are selling for
Old 04-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Checking the items that have actually sold will give you a good idea of what they are selling for on eBay. If you are going to sell them locally, you could probably check on Craig's List of whatever local equivalent of that you have and get an idea.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Thank you.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
When you look for those sales on ebay, you want to see what machines actually sold for, not what the owners expected to get for them and listed them for. To do that, instead of putting the name of the machine into the search bar, in small print to the right of the search bar, you'll see "advanced search'. Click on that instead, and a page will come up with a search bar at the top for you to enter the item. Below that on the page there are all kinds of options to limit your search, and the one you want to click is called "completed sales", or "completed listings", something like that. (I haven't been on ebay in awhile, I forget exactly what it is called.) On that page you can restrict your search to sellers who live within a certain number of miles from your location, you can restrict the search to items only sold as a Buy It Now item, all kinds of choices for you to tailor your search so your list that comes up isn't polluted with tons of listings that are not pertinent to what you need to see. You still need to read the original listings, though, because you want to see sale prices of items most closely like yours in terms of condition, age, accessories included, etc. Sometimes when you read the original ads you find out an item that initially looks exactly like what you have turns out to be much more or much less valuable than yours.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:24 AM

What is your mental outlook on declutterring? By that I mean, are you hoping/planning to make a killing? Or recognizing you have gotten your money's worth out of all the machines and letting them go to another stitcher, no strings attached

The little Sngers were made in Kilbowie, Clydebank, even after all this time they may be readily available to stitchers there where they are more uncommon here, so less dollar value, but more sentimental value?
We can find them here when lucky for $25.00 sometimes, the general pricing runs 350.-400.00. Maybe place an add for $250.00 in the Pound equivalent?

Selling online means shipping which when done well is satisfactory but takes a lot of time to do right.
Let us know what you decide and the outcome, Lots of decluttering/downsizing goes on here and we take inspiration from other's successes.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 AM

I would go to my local sewing machine store and ask if they would sell the machines on consignment or outright buy them from you. You won’t get a high price for them, but it will be a simple sale with no hassle. Also, if you belong to a quilt guild, you might inquire to see if other members might be interested.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:42 AM

The 222 would be worth a lot though.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Omg, I've seen 222's go for a lot on Ebay!!!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:21 PM

How old is your Husqvarna? Doesn’t seem to be a current model, so that would dictate how much you would get for it. 222k I paid £90 for mine on eBay, fully working recently serviced and decals in good shape.