Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm owners >

long arm owners

long arm owners

Old 04-20-2019, 05:15 AM

Since 2007, I have had carpeting over padding designed for basements on concrete. For ergonomic reasons due to my short height, there are seven layers of interlocking mats on top of the carpet in front of the longarm frame. My arms are where they should be for quilting. Guess I did something right...there are no backaches, no hip or knee pains while I quilt away. I happen to wear Crocs instead of slippers inside the house, and they help, too.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Carpet over cement in basement; with added protection of a heavy duty rubber mat that runs the length of the frame. The mat is a commercial mat purchased at an auto parts store, sold for those who stand all day.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 AM

My sewing room is in the basement. Its divided into 2 rooms, one side had 2 layers of indoor/outdoor carpet (not my choice, came with the house) and other side is plain old cement and not level at all. My machines are on the non carpeted side and I have feet and back issues so found myself a good pair of slippers with thick soles for cushion and then added one of the jigsaw puzzle type mats along the length of my frame. I can stand for hours though I don't. Also if I drop something it doesn't roll under the frame as easily if it hits the rubber mat, just does a short little bounce and sits there.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 AM

I agree with the interlocking foam mats atop a hard-surface floor (needed to keep your machine level). However, I do find as I age that I'm able to stand for shorter and shorter lengths of time, but I love to spend hours quilting. I'm short and my machine is set up as low as it will go, so I determined to get a drafting chair. Those puppies are expensive!

When I started looking (office supplies, furniture, etc.), I discovered many, but few under a $300+ price tag. But good ol' WalMart to the rescue (walmart.com). I simply typed in "drafting chair" (no quotes) and found they have quite a selection. I ordered a really nice one, generously padded, fabric covered, and chose one with no arms. It is completely height adjustable and quite sturdy. I have removed the interlocking mats and simply move my chair on its 5 wheels atop the hard-surface floor.

I plan to continue quilting for many years this way. (Incidentally, I'm 4'11", so do run into these challenges from time to time.)

Happy quilting.

Piecefully, Jo
Old 04-21-2019, 06:15 AM

When we built my sewing studio over the garage about a year and a half ago, we had LVP (Luxury Vinyl Planking) installed. It looks like long grain wood floor and is snaps in similarly to pergo or other laminates.

I purchased a Wellness Mat 2x6’ runner to use at my new LA but have not yet taken it out of the box...
Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
Mine is on Carpet in the basement over a cement floor. It is a little easier on my feet and legs but I find when I wear shoes, it helps.
Exactly the same here..since I'm a newbie at LA most of my quilting is simple meander and loops so not spending a long stretch at the machine. Hopefully that will change as I get experienced at more complex designs.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I have a solid wooden floor but layed a stress mat in front of the long arm where I stand and walk. I highly recommend that even on carpet.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Mine is on berber carpet on a concrete pad (can't have basements here which I Really miss). Haven't had any issues as yet.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-21-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 AM

mine is on indoor outdoor carpet , Been on carpet for 11 years not a problem .