Who is headed to Paducah?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:10 AM

I like to take a class. Their teachers are world class!!
Travel very light. I have a pocket wallet with money, credit card and identification. It's all you need.
Take your time, see everything. If you can, arrive on Monday evening. Start your adventure Tuesday morning. See all the town, shops and Hancocks of Paducah before 35,000 people get there. Ricky Timms show is worth it.
And make a list of things you specifically want to pick up.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:52 AM

I am glad to know that they are open. The QiaD website does not list any stores other than the one in CA. Another person called the number that they had for the store and the number was no longer in service. I did send a message to them, but never heard back.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

The QIAD store in Paducah has not been open in the fall/winter. But has always been open spring and summer. The big classroom is upstairs as well as E's living quarters when she is in Paducah. Since the warehouse is around the corner they may have moved the store to there and are using the original store for classes.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Miss you too! We'll meet up again at a show before very long I'm sure.

Here's a new little twist for this year's Quilt week. There's a quilt block pattern 'Scavenger Hunt' Participating businesses will have a block pattern to hand out. There are 35 (for the 35th anniversary) Sounds like good fun! http://www.westkentuckystar.com/News...nger-Hunt.aspx
Old 04-19-2019, 02:49 PM

I have not attended for a few years but my suggestion is go to the show, hit the vendors first and then the show and take your patience with you, especially if you want to see and photograph the Best in show and the other award winners. We found that there were small communities around Paducah that had quilt shows. If you have a chance go to some on those communities like Benton and go to the Kentucky Lakes there are small towns all around that have antique shops - we always found treasures. The area is lovely if you get tired of all traffic. Hancocks is an adventure. Again, take your patience with you. Unless blue laws have changed, The county is "Dry" so if you want alcohol, Paducah serves it. Ohv yeah, he dogwoods should be in bloom. Have fun. One of my fondest memories was in a small Kentucky town (I think it was Maurice) about 40 miles from Paducah. I was with a group led by a quilt shop owner. We were staying in a motel circa 1950s. We woke up one morning to hear Diane yelling from the courtyard "They have fabric!" She went to the hardware store next door to buy batteries and found fabric. All of us were over there in a flash.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:03 AM

I am so glad I seen this post. This is my first time going also. The above tips will really help us out as well. I know that we will def drive & park at the convention center. Really looking forward to it!
Old 04-21-2019, 03:55 AM

I find plenty of parking at the farmers market. It is across from the quilt museum. If you don’t mind a walk it is halfway between the convention center and downtown. If walking is out you can catch the shuttle busses stopping for the museum. Have fun everyone
Old 04-21-2019, 05:11 AM

Everything has gone 'wet' in the last few years. Alcohol is legal in most of the surrounding counties now.

The Best of Show quilts do draw huge crowds. It is the first thing folks go to when they get there of the morning. After dinner the crowd is smaller and you can get up close and get good pictures. Several of the churches in the area have nice shows that are wonderful too.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:57 AM

For 10 years I've gone Wed& Thur but due to family illness was unable this year. But it worked out to go Sat! Much smaller crowd I thought but could be due to day and weather. Saw all I wanted to but forgot it closed at 4 instead of 6 and didn't have time for Rotary Exhibit But went downtown instead. I was expecting several pop up quilt shops but all I saw were antique shops. Did I miss them, were they already gone or did they not set up this year? All in all I got most things on my list (plus a few extras!) So glad I was able to make it.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:26 PM

I was there Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Downtown across the street from the Finkel Building, there were a couple of shops selling fabric. And one near the ice cream shop downtown. Murphy's (I think?) had two pop up shops - one near the Quilt Museum and one near the Bubble. I didn't find any shortage of places willing to take my money!