Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I discovered about Juki and Brother >

What I discovered about Juki and Brother

What I discovered about Juki and Brother

Old 04-27-2019, 04:46 AM
CR

Good Morning Ladies, I have a question. Does anyone know where I can get a book on how to work on an Old Kenmore? I have had mine for about 50 years and my son had it cleaned and checked at the LQS. I was working on a raggy quilt for my grandson and it locked up. He wanted to take it back and see if it could be fixed but he had just put $190 dollars in it and it was supposed to be cleaned, checked and the belts replaced. I told him no that it would just be throwing good money after bad so he bought me a new Brother CSi600 for my birthday and I love it but it is way lighter than the Kenmore and my Kenmore was in a cabinet and this is a portable so if your working on anything very heavy it walks. This year he bought me a sewing table for the Brother but I still would like to get a book telling me how to work on the Kenmore. It may be beyond hope but I would still like to try before pitching it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I checked on line but all I got was names of repair shops. I would like to get a book that tells me how to work on it and what to check for. The motor runs but it won't move.

Thanks again and have a Blessed Day.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:44 AM

CR - I'd say at 50years old, your Kenmore certainly qualifies as vintage! Perhaps someone in the Vintage and Antique Machine section of this board can help. If you know the model of Kenmore you have and also if you post a picture, I think they can give you advice. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2019, 06:15 AM

CR - Since you were working on a raggy quilt did you clean the bobbin area and the feed dogs? Doesn't take long to get a build up of lint especially if using flannel.

Last edited by luci4; 04-27-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:22 AM

All my short shank feet are interchangeable with my Singers, Brother, Babylock and Bernina 1260. Yes, Bernina makes a short adapter shank so you can use feet from other machines. What a price saver that has been! Granted the Bernina feet don't fit the other machines, however I had the other ones first, so had lots of feet to share : )
Old 04-27-2019, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Oh no!!! I have a Brother 1500 and adore it; it's my favorite machine! What was wrong with it, why did it keep locking up?
The thread cutter keeps getting the hook assembly out of whack the best I understand from the repair guy. The cutter will lock up and then the whole machine will freeze. I got the machine when it first came out, maybe early 90's? It started locking up about two years ago. I have the service manual so may take out the thread cutter altogether.