Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shows and men >

Quilt shows and men

Quilt shows and men

Old 04-30-2019, 12:18 PM

My husband has helped setting up a local quilt show I was on the committee of several times. (No longer held). Normally he will not go to a quilt show to “look at the quilts”. I always ask him if he wants to go with me (joking of course because I know he will say No!). So one time he said yes and did go with me..... (and I was surprised when he said yes), he left me to browse and he went looking around by himself. Then he called me on my cell phone to see where I was.....really???....he said to come over where he was, he had found the longarm machines. I joined him and played with the machine for a few minutes, then he said, “order it”. Wow was I surprised!!! I had to ask a couple times if he was joking. :-). Since that time he has never gone to a show with me. I can only guess his purpose of going to that show was to tell me to order the machine. (I had been renting one and he knew I wanted my own).

On another note, he never says anything about the money I spend on fabric, etc. The only thing he says is, “What goes down has to come back up”. My reply is, “So, I don’t have to worry about that because I won’t be here”. Hahahahaha

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-30-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-01-2019, 03:31 AM

When I dove into the quilting hobby, I joked about hoping my dh would not decide to become a quilter. You see, he's very skilled, mechanical minded, artistic, math savvy, etc. Did I feel a bit threatened? ha ha. I had no doubt he would have put me to shame immediately if he made a quilt! Does he attend quilt shows with me? No. He admires my quilts, is supportive of my hobby, and I respect and do not become critical of his collecting and hobby interests. We both believe people are better people for their hobbies, and we can give each other the space to do our own thing.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 AM

My DH will go to a quilt show with me, and enjoys looking. We've been going to the Pigeon Forge, TN. show for yrs.. He was at the hotel one time, and when he got on the elevator the women on there all said we bet you aren't going to the quilt show. Their mouths dropped when he said that was where he was headed. We were at a quilt shop, and he is walking around looking at samples, and one woman told him there was a room for men to watch t.v., and a soda machine. He informed them that if he went to the room I would probably not buy anything. He pushes me to buy. LoL He's a keeper.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM

My husband goes with me to quilt shows and on quilt runs. He enjoys it and he carries my purchases. The only thing that he insists on is going out to eat afterwards.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 PM

My hubby is a big help. he'll drop me off at the door. carry anything i want him to, and is pretty patient. when i notice he or I need a break from each other, i'll suggest 'the refreshment area', and he will enjoy a piece of pie, till i get done. i've never taken him to a huge quilt show, like padukah, but, i'm thinking about it next year. i was wondering how i could do all that walking, and then i remembered how good he was at dropping me off at the door.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
No, it’s “my world”. He has “his world” which holds no interest to me.
We can each buy what we want and we get along great.
I agree. He either goes to a thrift store or reads in the car or naps.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 PM

Hmmm. I see men all the time at quilt shows. I think it was strange that so many strangers approached.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:33 AM

It's been fun to read all of your posts about your husbands and quilt shows. Darcyshannon's post was what lead me to post my original question. Having been to many quilt shows over the years I have seen many men attending and never once thought that it was out of the ordinary. I even pointed out to my DH the quilts that were pieced or quilted by men. He was a construction worker before he retired and he can look at a joining point from across the room and tell you if it was vertical or out of plum and tell you if it was 1/4" off center. Probably why he really loved the symmetry of flying geese. And yes to Momsbusy's post he did get the reward of lunch at his favorite cafe afterwards.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Going to shows or shopping in quilt shops with my husband would be equivalent to hunting with the game warden.
Just no.

He says I swing my credit card like a samurai sword...he doesn't need to see that. 😂
Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM

My husband goes to Quilt shows with me and really enjoys it. He talks to all the vendors.