Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enough quilting to hold it together - >

Enough quilting to hold it together -

Enough quilting to hold it together -

Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM

I have seen some beautiful custom quilting done that enhances the piecing. I have also seen some that overwhelmed the piecing. But, that is not what I am capable of. So I do my best to pick colors and patterns that make a striking quilt and do some simple mostly straight stitch quilting. I have a sister that would do very artist quilting but she has no desire to use a sewing machine.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:04 PM

I will never be able to do more than basic SITD, echo, crosshatch, straight lines and some wavy lines. That's OK though. I do love and admire the incredible quilting that I see pictured here on the board. The talent and beauty produced is simply amazing.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by lberna View Post
I really dislike massive quilting on a quilt. I prefer to see the layout of the pieces which is often hidden by the quilting. I think some quilts are so overly quilted that they could stand up on their own. Just my opinion.
I so agree with you.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:29 AM

I agree totally with you. IMHO, I think we should be able to see all the intricacies of the quilt--pattern, color, etc. Some quilts are so heavily quilted that I do not like them.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 AM

Bearisgray, thank you for coming up with this topic. I make mostly art quilts and want the design to stand out, so try to do minimal quilting that enhances the design. Even though I admire intricate and imaginative quilting, I know I will never get to that level because I'm not motivated enough to become good at it.

And Tartan, I appreciate your reminder about enough stitching to meet the batting requirements. I'm struggling with that right now because I like my quilt, "Wind in my Garden" the way it is. I guess I could put washing instructions on the back: Don't!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:46 AM

I also like the minimalist approach to quilting. I do appreciate the fantastic work done by some quilters, but I prefer to simply have it be a small part of the project. I usually decide on how much by how the quilt will be used. Example, a child's quilt get a bit of extra stitching because I want it to be dragged everywhere and washed a whole lot - well, well used. A gift for a more mature person might have less stitching, but perhaps a little bit fancier patterns. Only thing that is pretty standard for me is that I never use invisible thread on a child's quilt. If it snags and pulls out, it will not break and it is too easy for them to get a tiny toe or finger caught in it. And, with a baby quilt, I very often do a self-binding because I know how easy it is for them to gnaw binding off. I do this binding at about 1 1/2" and use a decorative stitch so it really looks like a blanket binding.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I do believe that one "should" meet the suggestions of/on the batting for minimum spacing of the quilting.

I saw some donation quilts that were well designed, nicely pieced - but tied at about 18 inch intervals (each way). That is a bit "too minimalist" for my taste.

I currently do not have the skill set for the intricate quilting some can do - which I truly admire - nor am I motivated enough to either learn how to or acquire a long arm.

So - there may be just a touch of "sour apples" in my comment -

I do admit to feeling a bit self-defensive with my "plainer jane" quilting - but as long as a quilt gets finished and is usable - I consider it "a good thing" .
Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 AM

I admire the skill some people have for quilting but I like to see a some puffiness left in the quilt. So much quilting flattens the whole quilt into a rug. Nothing left to snuggle in.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:24 AM

My feelings exactly!
Old 05-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I do believe that one "should" meet the suggestions of/on the batting for minimum spacing of the quilting.

I saw some donation quilts that were well designed, nicely pieced - but tied at about 18 inch intervals (each way). That is a bit "too minimalist" for my taste.

I currently do not have the skill set for the intricate quilting some can do - which I truly admire - nor am I motivated enough to either learn how to or acquire a long arm.

So - there may be just a touch of "sour apples" in my comment -

I do admit to feeling a bit self-defensive with my "plainer jane" quilting - but as long as a quilt gets finished and is usable - I consider it "a good thing" .
Bearisgray, I have followed your comments for several years. I, like you, think the amount of quilting depends on the preferences and ability of the quiltmaker. That being said, while I greatly admire the quilts by HCarpinni, I know that I do not possess that innate ability to design and execute such artistic quilting, and I am not motivated to spend a lot of time and still not be successful. I think all of us need to focus on what we reasonably can do and enjoy. My quilting is my "me" time. If I choose to give or donate a quilt, I hope the recipient enjoys it, but I am not the Picasso of quilting, nor do I need or have to be. I am just me.