Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting using the backing design >

Quilting using the backing design

Quilting using the backing design

Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I’ve done that several times. Since it involves sewing on the backside of the quilt, I usually get anxious that the tension will get funny. So I constantly flip it over to check it- but that’s probably just me. But other than that, it worked out well. Once I had an Angela Walters backing and the quilting looked so good on the front. I was like “Hey I’m Angela!”
I've wondered about the tension too. I think I would have to play with this concept first before turning myself loose on a big project.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:17 AM

I did that on my last quilt. There's a book dedicated to that idea, but I can't remember the name. My fabrics on the front of the quilt were so busy, I couldn't imagine being able to see what I was quilting, so I chose a backing with the idea that I would use that as a quilting guide. The only problem I had was that I forgot my plan when basting my quilt, so I had to reach under to remove my basting stitches, which was kind of annoying. I did have concerns about tension, but it worked out fine.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM

When you get close to the center of the quilt, take the quilt off the frame and reload it so the un-done half is on top. Since you are following the backing fabric design, that ought to work well for you. Of course this assumes that you have basted the sandwich to keep it straight while quilting.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:52 PM

This is the kind of genius solution I'd never think of! I love it...think I'll have to try a small sample project!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:30 AM

I also had a cheater wedding ring top. I have a log cabin on the back. I quilted around the circles and am very happy with it. My sister wondered how I got such perfect circles on the cabin..I always wanted a wedding ring but not the work.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:54 AM

While I have never done it I have seen comments that by quilting from the back which has few seams your quilt glides through under the foot more easily and there isn't the hesitation that you often get when quilting from the front as the foot approaches a seam intersection.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:47 AM

I had a fabric with some beautiful flowers on the back and just outlined the flowers from the back. Then I turned the quilt over and filled in with echo quilting or stippling where I thought it was needed. Being OCD I tried to center the flowers in each block.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:41 PM

I did it with a fleece wildlife panel for the backing and quilting around the animals etc. It was great seeing the design from the front of the quilt too.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Like Iceblossom I used a Hawaiian print on the back. My tension was good and the quilt looked great on the front!