Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will spray starch help with limp fabric >

Will spray starch help with limp fabric

Will spray starch help with limp fabric

Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 AM

Wink Will spray starch help with limp fabric

I am in the process of ripping apart a quilt top that I had added shashing to. It was my first time to do it and about halfway through the project realized that the fabric I was using to sash was kind of limp and floppy. I did not know if using spray starch when I re-do this will give the material the body it needs to stay in place and not get wavy.

Or maybe I am trying a technique that is too far above my pay grade (which is low!) I love the feel of the softer, nicer fabrics but they are touchier for me to sew with as a beginner and I do not want to waste my time and money sewing with fabric that is sub-par because it is easier.

Thoughts?? P.S. I love this website - so helpful!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

My opinions about starch/sizing -

I think of it as a foundation/support garment such as a bra or girdle or spanx - it temporarily will give a body a better shape - but after the garment is removed, the body reverts to how it was.

So that is how I think of starch/sizing - it can be "helpful" to stabilize a piece for a while - but once the fabric has been washed, it will revert to its "natural" state.

If the fabric is poor to begin with, starch will not make it permanently better.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-21-2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: language
Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 AM

To answer your first question, yes, spray starch will stiffen up your fabric so that it doesn't stretch and move while working with it.

Now to answer the question you didn't ask. Even though starch will firm things up, that firmness will disappear when the starch is washed out. You'll be back to the original flimsy fabric in the end. If the quilt will be quilted close enough that your fabric won't have a chance to wobble, etc., you could still get by with that. But, if the rest of your quilt fabrics are good firm ones, the flimsy will probably not wear as well or stay as flat as you'd like in the end.

I've taught lots of quilting classes and I know lots of ladies want to save a buck or two when making their quilts. I always want to save a buck or three!! It really shocks people to see how much fabric, thread, batting costs these days. But I always say, make your quilt with the best you can afford. Why would you spend all that time and money on materials that are sub-par? You want your quilt to last a long time.

Okay, I've probably said too much. But, you did ask!
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM

It's also possible that your "limp" fabric was actually cut off-grain, which will tend to "warp".
Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 AM

I starch all my fabric before cutting because I get better cuts. I have learned over the years to use good quality fabric and notions. It saves money and time. It's like food for the kids. I have the choice to buy two kids meals from a fast food place or a pint of blueberries. The kids share a pint of blueberries not get a fast meal each. They get the health benefits to help stave off that cold their friend has thus saving a Dr. visit and medicine and lost school days. It's the little things that add up over time. Buy the good stuff.

Last edited by fruitloop; 05-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:12 AM

The white fabric I used was MDG Dream Cotton, which I thought got pretty good reviews on here, but it is a softer hand than say Designer Solids or Kona. I think I will try starch on a small test quilt and see how it washes up.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:03 AM

I use standard ol' grocery store spray starch and it stiffens fabrics quite a good deal. As far as waves, make certain your sashing is the same length on opposite sides. My personal dilemma is when adding a wide sashing 4" or more. I always get waves.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 AM

I suggest putting an iron on stabilizer on the fabric. As others have said, dense quilting will hold the fabric in place.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:06 AM

I use Magic Spray Sizing which cuts down on the fraying and makes cutting small pieces more precise.