Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I add a tip for longarmer? >

Should I add a tip for longarmer?

Should I add a tip for longarmer?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:37 AM

I have never gone to a long armer, so I really can't say. I think it's a great question and everyone raises some valid points.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 AM

I have tipped my long arm quilter when she has done it in a time crunch and done an exceptional job. I certainly do not tip every job. This is her sole income source and she works very hard to please.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 AM

Thank you for all the insight. Now I won't feel so bad if I decide not to tip.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:53 PM

I am a longarmer and I do not expect a tip and have been thrilled maybe 3 times when someone paid me extra, usually when they needed change from cash and told me to keep it, lol. I would never expect a tip from someone even if they did tip previously. I really don't make an expected income from what I do, I just provide a service for quilters who would never have a finished quilt unless I quilted it for them. (I do not have a "business" so to speak, just regular friends that I quilt for.)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:22 PM

I have added a bit to my payment when my LA'er has worked me into her very busy schedule. It is my way of telling her how much I appreciate her efforts.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:07 AM

I am a longarmer. Please, no tips for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I am a longarmer and I do not expect a tip and have been thrilled maybe 3 times when someone paid me extra, usually when they needed change from cash and told me to keep it, lol. I would never expect a tip from someone even if they did tip previously. I really don't make an expected income from what I do, I just provide a service for quilters who would never have a finished quilt unless I quilted it for them. (I do not have a "business" so to speak, just regular friends that I quilt for.)
I also do not have a “business”. I exchange quilting for a friend and she does my hand work on binding. When she has more quilting for me than I have handwork for her, I charge her. I do not expect a tip. I feel that longarmers are asking the price they want and a tip is not necessary and you should not feel obligated.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM

I would say a tip is not expected. If your longarm quilter goes "above & beyond" in some way - a tight deadline, exceptional quilting, or you just want to show your appreciation once in a while - bring them a gift certificate for your LQS or a coffee shop.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:11 AM

I'm a longarmer and I would never expect a tip. A couple of clients have given me some extra once or twice - I'm trying to get over that making me uncomfortable and to accept it gracefully. But I'd never expect them to do it every time.

My mother once said to me (and maybe this is really bad advice, but it's stuck with me) that she doesn't tip her hairdresser when she goes to someone who's working for themself, or to the salon owner. They charge the rate they want to get. If they are working for someone else in a salon, a tip is appropriate, because they are only getting a portion of what the hair cut cost. So, since a longarmer is working for themself, I would not tip.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
...My mother once said to me (and maybe this is really bad advice, but it's stuck with me) that she doesn't tip her hairdresser when she goes to someone who's working for themself, or to the salon owner. They charge the rate they want to get. If they are working for someone else in a salon, a tip is appropriate, because they are only getting a portion of what the hair cut cost. So, since a longarmer is working for themself, I would not tip.
This advice makes so much sense. Thanks