Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand New and Need So Much Help >

Brand New and Need So Much Help

Brand New and Need So Much Help

Old 05-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Brand New and Need So Much Help

Hello! I recently realized that I have so many t-shirts that I don't wear but can't part with, so I have decided to make a t-shirt quilt! However, I don't really have any skills. I mean, no skills. I don't even have a sewing machine so I'll be hand quilting. I have the layout, the backing, and 100% Poly batting. I'm not doing any sashing. But I have so many questions before I can start the actual quilt.

1. I've read conflicting things about if I need interfacing or not. Would spray starch work instead? If not, what kind of interfacing should I get? I'm trying to cut down costs as much as possible, I'm a broke college kid so if you have any budget recommendations I would highly appreciate it.
2. My batting says that you can't sew more than 4 inches apart. What happens if I sew 10 or 15 inches apart?
3. What is my best bet for the types of stitches I should do? Also, if you have any tutorials on how to do them or just beginner stitching/hand quilting tutorials I would be so amazingly grateful.
4. What is the cheapest bias tape? Do you even need it to specifically be bias tape or are there other (cheaper) alternatives? Also, if the quilt is 3 yds by 2.5 yds how much bias tape do I need? I was confused by the packaging I saw today.
5. What size needles do you recommend? I know it changes the appearance of the stitches but I really don't know how or what would be the easiest for tshirts.
5. If anyone has any tips for an overwhelmed crafter that's doing a first time cross-over into the world of quilting, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of quilting! I am afraid I won't be much help because I do almost nothing by hand, just the last part of the binding and labels. I know that others do a lot of hand work and will be able to help. This place is a great resource for newbies and experienced quilters alike.
Good luck with your project!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 PM

Welcome to the board.....I am far from an expert, but I have made a good number of tshirt quilts and here are my thoughts. I would be afraid to do a tshirt quilt by hand, but that is just me

1 - use interfacing for a tshirt quilt. While I completely understand being broke, you don't want to be sorry later. Somethings are worth spending the money on. Check on Amazon for pricing this is what I have used several times. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 - I would stick to the recommendations on the batting, but that doesn't mean something dramatic will happen if you don't. I would expect that possible the batting would shift around if you quilt farther apart than what is expected.

3 - I just use the standard straight stitch on my Janome. Nothing special at all

4 - I am assuming that you would use the bias tape for binding? I make my own binding. Cut 2-1/2" strips and iron in half. That is what I would recommend you do as well - but again it won't be earth shattering if you don't

5 - as far as how much binding you need - add the 4 sides up (3 yard + 3 yard + 2.5 yard + 2.5 yards then I would add in some extra just to be safe)

As far as needles, I am far from an expert.. but I don't get too picky either. I have used something like these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a video that may help you out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3jqR2N4KA&t=74s

Good luck and have fun!! share pictures when you are done we all love to see eachothers projects
Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Hello, and welcome to the quilting World. Please don't get upset, or stressed out. Just keep coming to this place and asking questions. You will get answers, because we have a big group of good quilters that will give you answers and ideas. They are very friendly too, so just wait for the answers. I'm not much help.ha.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of quilting! I am afraid I won't be much help because I do almost nothing by hand, just the last part of the binding and labels. I know that others do a lot of hand work and will be able to help. This place is a great resource for newbies and experienced quilters alike.
Good luck with your project!
Thank you so much! It seems like such a nice community and I'm excited to learn!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Thank you so much! I would be lying if I didn't say that I was a bit nervous about hand quilting because I don't want to mess up these shirts -- some of them are over ten years old -- but it's the only option I really have. Your response was really helpful though, I really appreciate everything and will for sure be referring back to it!
Old 05-25-2019, 07:14 PM

Oh believe me, I'll come back frequently haha. Thank you so much for the welcome!
Old 05-25-2019, 08:06 PM

If you have a local Joann fabrics store, you can easily get coupons to use for your interfacing. I’m not sure how long it will be on sale but it was 60% off this weekend.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

I would see if I could find a family member or fellow student at college who might let you use their sewing machine.

The best interfacing for T shirt quilt blocks is a tricot interfacing called French Fuse. There are cheaper generic tricots you can use, but you need to know what the original looks like so you can select a good substitute.

Then just have fun framing and setting your T shirt blocks!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!