Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retayne >

Retayne

Retayne

Old 05-27-2019, 04:56 AM

Default Retayne

I have found the perfect fabric for a project I'm working on, except I can't stop it from bleeding. It is basically a red background. I wish I had used Retayne before I tried other methods of stopping the bleeding but I didn't. I tried soaking it in vinegar/water after soaking it many other times in plain water. Nothing stops the bleeding.

The instructions on the bottle of Retayne says "for best results, treat fabric with Retayne before washing it for the first time or placing it into your quilt." BTW I have had this bottle of Retayne for many a year and have never used it.

For those of you who have used Retayne, have you ever used it after washing the fabric ... does it stop the bleeding? What is the "long term" result ..... in other words, will the fabric bleed again?

My "inner quilter" says I better not use this fabric. But it is so perfect for my project! I'm bummed ..... help!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 AM

I have used this method successfully on both fabrics and clothes that were bleeding.
https://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/retayne.html

The summary is that I soaked the items in Retayne and hot water for 30 minutes, then handwashed with Synthapol, rinsed, and dried in the dryer. Then I (machine) washed them again with a white rag to make sure there was no more bleeding.

I didn't know the items would bleed until I washed them, so I don't think it's critical to use it before washing them for the first time. It's always going to be after I've washed something, because I'm not going to treat everything with Retayne just in case.

I haven't had the bleeding come back, and as far as I know the fixing is permanent.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

If you already have Retayne, then you have nothing to lose by trying it. Do as Mitty did and check to be sure all bleeding has stopped after washing with Retayne. BTW, as you found out, vinegar does not set modern dyes.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I use apple cider vinegar to set the fabrics that run. It works well. I bought a bottle of the retyne and it said it could cause cancer. I tossed it.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I have been lucky 3 -4 color catchers works for me.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:37 PM

Have you tried this? It works for me.

https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/upl...edingquilt.pdf
Old 05-28-2019, 02:16 AM

My experience with Retayne was not good. It's been so long ago I can't remember the particulars. On the other hand, color catchers work, but it is never 100%.

Your inklings are probably correct. Anything that bleeds today will bleed tomorrow. They are still making fabric, so l'd look for another selection. If you sell or gift the quilt, you have no control over the new owner's laundering skills. My luck, it would come back in a heap.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I use apple cider vinegar to set the fabrics that run. It works well. I bought a bottle of the retyne and it said it could cause cancer. I tossed it.
I don't think Retayne is an unsafe product to use. Yes it has formaldehyde in it, so does everything piece of clothing you buy or fabric you buy. Formaldehyde is one of the most commonly used chemicals and we are all exposed to it daily in small amounts. It can cause problems, including cancer, but the exposure from Retayne is minuscule compared to when you get every time you sit in your car, ride in an elevator, walk on carpeted floors or enter a store full of brand new, unwashed clothing. If you breathe outside in any city, you are breathing formaldehyde because it's present in auto exhaust. If you ever use a wood burning fireplace you've probably been exposed to pretty high levels. There are many more things that can cause cancer in our everyday lives. Just because it can cause cancer doesn't mean you will get cancer.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

As discouraging as it is I wouldn't use that fabric. Just not worth the risk to me.
I've noticed over the years that I use very little red even though I love the color.
I've had so many bleeders.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:01 AM

I had a bottle of Synthrapol for a year also. I have used it on bleeding fabric and it seems to work. Not sure what the difference is between Retayne and Synthrapol. You might try washing with a bit of white to see if the dye is sticking to the white or just bleeding?