Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when an award winning quilt is sold, who gets the ribbons? >

when an award winning quilt is sold, who gets the ribbons?

when an award winning quilt is sold, who gets the ribbons?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 PM

You make the quilt and won the ribbons, that is your memories. They bought the quilt, that's their memories to make. Just my thought.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM

I've always kept the ribbons when I've sold a quilt. I usually provide a written list of any awards the quilt has won, as well as any shows it was in, and a copy of my quilting CV, (resume). If it was published I give the buyer a copy of the magazine it was in. (If you get a quilt published, buy at least a half dozen issues of the magazine).

I had an experience with my only Best of Show quilt 20 years ago. I put it in a local quilt shop's annual show and sale and put what seemed like a crazy high price on it, thinking no one would pay that much. Someone did. I was shocked. Fortunately I had some great pictures of it so I framed my ribbon with the photo. I still have it hanging in my studio to remind myself to make sure I'm OK with selling something. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:17 AM

This is a discussion you should have with the buyer. Like someone mentioned, do they know it is an award winning quilt? Are they expecting to get the ribbons? Would you all them for an additional cost? I bought an award winning show dog. I received her awards and papers. I bought her to be my pet, no longer a show dog. I don't care about her awards and papers. I gave them back to the seller, they have value and memories to her.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Either is acceptable. You don't have to include them, but you can negotiate that with the buyer if you want to. Personally, I would keep them.

The same is true with award winning photographs and other award winning pieces.

Another alternative is to include photos of the awards with your quilt.
I totally agree with "mindless" - you, the quilter/maker" gets to make the decision!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Congratulations on winning. I would keep the ribbons, you earned them.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 PM

I am wondering how they even know about the ribbons. Did they desire the quilt because of the ribbons it/you won?

The ribbons were given for creating the quilt, not purchasing the quilt.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Rob, I would sure like to see photos of your prize-winning quilts, and I did search some trying to find them, but I had no luck in that regard. My heartiest Congratulations on winning all those wonderful ribbons. I do think that you should retain the ribbons. The buyers, depending upon the expense factor amount to buy this quilt may very well wish to have some sort of documentation. I have a suggestion for something that may make them happy. Take or have taken some very good quality photos of the quilt, attaching the photos to something like a heavy parchment paper being cardstock. Several years ago, before I was forced to retire for medical reasons, Florida legislature promulgated a format which might serve as a "certification" of things like your quilt, I can get you the format if you like, It would be signed by a notary public of the state in which the quilt was created. This certification is particularly useful for an item such as a quilt, where there is no government office involved who could certify the photos as winning all these ribbons. Then, the certification with the photos of the ribbon could be placed in a very nice picture frame at a relatively small cost, and would still give the buyers comfort knowing they have verified proof. A way to obtain a certified document without having to go through some governmental agency or clerk. Let me know if you would like the form!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:19 AM

You, the artist, won the ribbons for your work- the quilt. So, they're yours. If you don't really care about them, you can decide that they go with the quilt. If not, let them pry them out of your cold dead hand. (I loved that comment.)

The only experience with ribbons in my life experience was the Persian cat we had when I was a kid. In his former life, he was a stud. And of course, to get that cushy job, one must have the bona fides to support one's performance. Show ribbons it is, then. We had a whole drawer full of huge, beautiful rosettes. Of course, upon his retirement to private life, he lost his privates, as it were. No more competition for old Timmy. But, the ribbons went with him.

His tail hairs were 5" long. I measured them once. Just an FYI for the curious among us.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Hey all,
Thanks so much for everyone's input. Here is a link to a picture of the quilt:https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...36-591073.html

It's a small wall quilt approx. 28" tall and 33" wide.

Someone asked how the buyer knew about the ribbons. The art gallery where the quilt is currently being shown had a price list of all the pieces in the show and included a statement that the quilt was an award winning quilt. Because the gallery price list included mention of the ribbons, I told the buyer that I wasn't sure if I was supposed to give the ribbons to them or if I could keep them which was why I asked the question here, since I was pretty sure others have been in the same boat. I will probably do as folks have suggested, and if the buyer is amenable, take a photo of the quilt with its ribbons for them and keep the actual ribbons and a really good photo of the quilt for myself and DH.

Rob
Old 06-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Rob, that's marvelous!!!!! Thanks for sharing.