Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist >

Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I'm not a perfectionist by any standards but I do notice that when I make a quilt I always find something about it that I don't like. However, once it's finished and time passes I tend to forget about whatever bugged me. I'm like that about a lot of things.
I've also noticed that non-quilters don't see mistakes unless they are glaring and mine aren't quite that bad!
Around the house I'm laid back. I'd like everything a lot tidier than it is but lack the ambition to do it! I'd much rather be sewing or gardening.
Me too! Sewing or gardening, or reading a good book. I remember a high school friend in a odd little compliment asked how I managed to live with ‘not so great.’ She said she had trouble getting out of bed in the morning because she was afraid she wouldn’t do things perfectly or be the best. My reaction was, “Wow! You are so brave. I wouldn’t have the courage to face that stress daily.” Years and years later my DSL asked me how did I manage to be so spontaneous. She was struggling with knowing a thing should be done the right way and wondered how I didn’t mind doing it the wrong way. (Tee hee) I think we all are motivated by different things. Me? Gosh, I just love learning. I think I’m motivated by curiosity. I like to try my hand at things but probably don’t master many things. But I do try to do things well.......just not to perfection?

Very interesting thread. I enjoyed reading the thoughts of others.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Definitely a 'good-enoughist. Mmy motto is "Done is better than perfect".
Oh, I agree. I would never get anything done if I were a perfectionist.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM

If I waited for perfection, I'd never finish anything! I do the very best I can, and for me, that's good enough!! I think too that we are all our own worst critics!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
If you can’t see your mistakes from 6 feet away on a galloping horse, it’s perfect as far as I’m concerned.
Cindi, that's hilarious!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Perfectly said RhondaLee!

I’m the last from a family of 7 and a lot of us are like that. The ones that aren’t…..sure aren’t. My brother next in line to me is the ultimate perfectionist which is pretty handy considering he’s a Literal rocket scientist. His hair stands up if he’s in a room where there’s an 89 degree angle. We went back and forth for 4 days when I told him how to make spaghetti sauce and didn’t give him quantities. ("Whadya mean 'add garlic cloves'?”) Boy, was that an experience.

I love all the attitudes on here. I’m trying not to be perfect on the quilting front (not that I ever was—far from it) because I find that trying to make them perfect takes the fun out of it. I don’t enjoy it and find it stressful. But, at the same time, if it’s a gift I want it to be really nice but finding that balance point can be tough.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Libits View Post
Perfectly said RhondaLee!

I’m the last from a family of 7 and a lot of us are like that. The ones that aren’t…..sure aren’t. My brother next in line to me is the ultimate perfectionist which is pretty handy considering he’s a Literal rocket scientist. His hair stands up if he’s in a room where there’s an 89 degree angle. We went back and forth for 4 days when I told him how to make spaghetti sauce and didn’t give him quantities. ("Whadya mean 'add garlic cloves'?”) Boy, was that an experience.

I love all the attitudes on here. I’m trying not to be perfect on the quilting front (not that I ever was—far from it) because I find that trying to make them perfect takes the fun out of it. I don’t enjoy it and find it stressful. But, at the same time, if it’s a gift I want it to be really nice but finding that balance point can be tough.
I kind of laughed at the spaghetti recipe line - I follow some recipes quite closely - the first time, anyway.

But there are some dishes/meals/concoctions such as soup, chili, casseroles - that are fairly flexible - but if one does want consistent results, specific amounts of ingredients are helpful.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
If your happy w/it...then it's Perfect!

I like this answer a lot, bc if you worked hard on a quilt, and let's face it,
any quilt is work even if we love doing it.
You give that quilt to a loved one no matter how you would rate it 1-10
and they think it's a 10.
Now isn't that perfection in their eyes?
Doesn't that make both of you really happy?
My grands have drawn pictures for me and made me things and I think
they are perfect just the way they are and wouldn't part with them.
I belong to a decorating site on FB and one lady posted a picture
yesterday and you were looking at a wall and could see her living
room to the left and her dining room to the right.
You could clearly tell she had a nice home but her caption said:
The best decoration in my house, and it showed a picture
drawn on a piece of construction paper and clearly it had I Love You
all over it in crayon, not in words but it was there. Awwww!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mmunchkins View Post
Mousie, do you save the butter wrappers to grease the bottom of your baking pans?

I hadn't thought of that! But you know, I peel them off so carefully I don't think there
is much butter left on them.
Oh the things we do without even knowing!
That's it - I am going to start having more fun and less fuss
Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 AM

Oh, this thread is so interesting. I spent my career being a perfectionist, going the extra mile, etc. ... which made me happy then. I found myself trying to be "all things to all people" at work, at home, in life ... until I realized the more I did, the more others "didn't". Haha. I'm a self-taught quilter ... never taken a class mainly because nowhere nearby to take one. So, obviously, I've learned the hard way. I'm like "mhollifiel" stated ... there are too many people in need that can use a quilt so I strive to do "my" best to meet that need while quilting to the best of my ability. That's what makes me happy. Oh, I've ripped many a stitch mostly because something was just too obvious ... but not because it "had to be perfect".

God Bless those who enter Quit Shows. I do love going to see their work and admire their attention to detail and how intricate their work is.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 AM

In my experience a quilt does not need to be perfect to be cherished. Usually, the only one who is aware of its faults is the one who sewed/quilted it.

That said, nothing is ever truly just "good enough" if you have put blood, sweat, and tears into it. It may not be perfection but it's still a job well done.

I do understand what the OP meant by good enough though. I just don't want people to underestimate what they have accomplished by finishing a project.