Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate my quilt top >

I hate my quilt top

I hate my quilt top

Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Yes! I have an uncompleted Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt. I ignored Bonnie's colors and made it using Christmas fabrics. The individual units looked great but I disliked the pattern when it was revealed and my version looked even worse. My quilt/blocks/units is sitting in timeout while I work on a solution. I have revisited it a few times and my opinion hasn't changed. When I have time and feel creative, I will take apart the blocks and play with the units until I find something that pleases me. Possibly I will split the units into two different quilts but I will rescue those blocks. Too much effort and time was spent making them, to not have a successful quilt.

My advice is to unsew your quilt, and take it to the point that you last liked the pieces. Then rework the blocks or units until you are happy. Have you considered using the tulip rows, as a single row, in a backing for another quilt? Depending on the number of rows/blocks, you could get 4 or 5 unique backings.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Yes! I have an uncompleted Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt. I ignored Bonnie's colors and made it using Christmas fabrics. The individual units looked great but I disliked the pattern when it was revealed and my version made the pattern look even worse. My quilt/blocks/units are sitting in timeout while I work on a solution. I have revisited it a few times and my opinion hasn't changed. When I have time and feel creative, I will take apart the blocks and play with the units until I find something that pleases me. Possibly I will split the units into two different quilts but I will rescue those blocks. Too much effort and time was spent making them, to not have a successful quilt.

My advice is to unsew your quilt, and take it to the point that you last liked the pieces. Then rework the blocks or units until you are happy. Have you considered using the tulip rows, as a single row, in a backing for another quilt? Depending on the number of rows/blocks, you could get 4 or 5 unique backings.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Yes! I used a light floral/white combination in a Jacobs Ladder block, and it doesn't have enough contrast. Mad at myself for wasting my precious quilting time on it . It is currently sitting in a bag until I decide how I want to dispose of it.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Yes, I think we all have had a few that we didn't like. One I sent to my sister. She probably gave it to salvation army. A whole quilt top all done. The the next one I took a picture and texted to my 6 sisters who all quilt. Said the first one to grab it for $25, then it was theirs. Took only a few minutes. I saw it finished at that sisters house. Looked really cute.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Yep, me too. I pieced a Turning Twenty lap quilt that is ugly. It has been tucked away for quilting for at least 10 years. I have finally decided to rip it apart and put the pieces in my scrap box waiting to do a Trail's Mix.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:44 AM

I can't believe so many will spend time making an ugly to them quilt top into something not so ugly. If you feel guilty about getting rid of it then that is the ugly you need to rework.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM

I have seen tulips that are two colors. Would it work to applique another color into the tulips, or maybe use some fabric paints and change the appearance of the tulips. Please post a pic so we can make better suggestions. And yes, I hate most of my quilts until I get them quilted and washed. Then it's like a new object. Much better.

I've seen a lot of cute quilts lately that have appliqued butterflies or bees on them. It really changes the focus of the view. Maybe even some birds.

I don't know if the pattern has sashings, but nice trees of different greens elongated in the sashings might add to the look. Or alternate the tulip blocks with a fabric that includes all the colors of the tulips, or use the fabric as a sashing. So many things to think about.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613788[/ATTACH]It was to be a cute baby quilt. The pattern was fairly good, the fabric colors good, but the workmanship was dreadful. I think I sent it to one of my three freebie girls.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_132109_resized.jpg
Views:	1915
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	613788  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 AM

give them to a homeless person, they will find them beautiful!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 AM

After turning one I hated into a king size. I also hate square quilts, my advice is to get rid of it. Donate it to a Guild's community quilts or tuck it away till you can stand it. Since it is still in squares, maybe make placemats out of it.