Sewing Room vs Guest Room

Old 06-16-2019, 08:26 PM

When my eldest daughter moved into her condo I made her bedroom into my sewing room. It is large enough for me and even though we do have a guest room, I had a queen size Murphy bed put in my sewing room. We have family that lives 1300 miles away and when they come to visit I really want everyone to stay with us. It's not very often and I am not going to sew when they are here so not a big deal to push the machines out of the way and let the bed down. Growing up we did our sewing in the TV room. (We had one project at a time, so not a lot to put away.) My mother did her ironing mostly while we were at school in the TV room. So when I got my sewing room and was able to leave my ironing board up all the time, it was my happy dance time.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-16-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 AM

I have a nice sewing room in what was called a study in the plans. It is the same size as the guest bedroom but with no closet. In the guest bedroom, I have a Murphy Bed that is a queen and it folds into the wall, so I have my cutting table in there. Much easier to take that down than a whole room full of stuff.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 AM

Red face

Yes, I do have a sewing room/guest room combo. I have an Ikea daybed for guests. My design wall is from sewing with Nancy and comes down off the wall easily. My cutting table is a Norden Gateleg table from Ikea that is on wheels. I just fold down the sides and roll it against the wall and I am ready for guests.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:38 AM

We have two bedrooms, our 6 year old granddaughter spent the night a couple weeks ago. When we moved we bought a sleep number bed. My husband sleep in the recliner, I slept with Std. I spent the night going up and down. She didn't sleep a wi k. Roll away bed sounds like a great option.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 AM

My sewing room is also the guest room, but we don't have that many guests because we live in rural Vermont. It's a long way from anywhere else and I guess people think there's nothing to do here. Are they wrong! At any rate, I have a double bed that I use as a design wall and it also as storage for quilts that lay flat on it. I use it to lay out quilts for basting unless they are gigantic, but lately I've been taking larger quilts to a long armer anyway. If guests do come, I do clean up and I also prepare handwork before they come. We're usually too busy with them anyway so I don't need the machine - unless they bring their mending as my brother did one time. I taught him about Stitch Witchery on that visit!
Old 06-17-2019, 03:05 AM

I live alone so I don’t have to share and can sew in any room. I have a sewing room which was previously used as Mother’s room when she came to visit. I have a basement room wIth my stash and cutting tables. I don’t have a long arm but am considering a Sweet 16.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
DH does not share his workshop with guests so I'm not sharing mine with guests either. I had roll away beds that I set up in the den for guests. We recently bought our forever home so I made sure it had a guest room with full bath to be used as a guest room. Might not use it often but it's there and not putting me out.
Oh I like this train of thought.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 AM

I've been in my house for about 25 years now, long ago my sewing room doubled as a guest room. Then it sort of turned into a fabric storage room more than a sewing room. I've taken it back from there, still working on reducing my stash and making it a nicer place to work. It's a small house though and the smallest bedroom, the reality is that I sew almost daily and I have guests almost never. .
Old 06-17-2019, 05:32 AM

My "used to be" bedroom was used by foster children for about six years, then became a guest room, then an office-guest room, then a sewing room-guest room. Now if I have guests, I need to pile everything from the bed onto the cutting table and put the second end of the roll-away down. I have that end up so that I can get to the window and use that raised piece to drape current projects (which sometimes get to be future projects).
When my niece was here for her mother's funeral, I slept there and she got my queen bed. I slept fine.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:42 AM

I used to have a sewing room/guest room combo. There were high shelves on one wall filled with plastic totes of fabric. My son in law said he was afraid the shelves would fall over when he was in there. Now I’m very fortunate to have a big room in the basement that’s only used for my sewing room.