Slow Computer Tuneup Tips

Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
After doing all this and still having a lot of problems, I changed to foxfire for my browser. Now I have fast internet for the first time in a long time!

Ditter
d/l foxfire and having issues, says javascript is disabled, which it's not, OR that i need the new adobe flash player which i d/l and installed...still having probs
Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Before going inside the computer be sure to touch the chassis somewhere before you reach into the workings. If you do not then the static electricity on your person will fry the processor.

CCleaner by Piroform is free and will clean your cache and all other unnecessary garbage that finds its way on your computer. It will also repair the registry if you chose to use that option.

Billy
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in to say I gave up on a PC and got a Mac. What a difference! Hubby is a PC programmer and knows all the ins and outs and he is very impressed with ease of setup and everything else. He ended up getting a Macbook Pro and really does enjoy it. I can't think of any disadvantages yet, but if anyone has a heads up for me I would appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Cheryl, please post back and let us all know if the "tuneup" significantly improves your computer's performance.

Dell is a very good brand of computer, and whatever Vista's annoyances, people do use it without problems. So if you still have problems, we can work on them.

Craftiladi makes a good point about the Vista. I would say after you've done the virus and spyware/adware downloads and scans (and before defragmenting), check for Windows updates to get any patches for Vista that you don't yet have. It may be that your computer is set to check for them and get them automatically, but it's worth checking anyway.

Lostn51, VERY important point! Though I thought you ground yourself to keep from getting a killer shock, not to protect the computer.

Stitchnripper, everyone I've ever known who's owned a Mac has been totally smug and superior about it. They never complain, never!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
Sometimes, it's the operator that causes the problems, right? (*giggles*)
Yeah, especially in my case!

Glad you like my post and do let us know how DH fares with the list.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter71
d/l foxfire and having issues, says javascript is disabled, which it's not, OR that i need the new adobe flash player which i d/l and installed...still having probs
You can post your problem on the Firefox message board or chat live online to get help: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Ask+a+question

I'd be interested in knowing what the solution is when you find out.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Thank you so much for these tips ! Big thanks for the anti-malware program link . It's running now and finding stuff that my McAfee didn't ! I'lllet you know how it turns out . Hugs :thumbup: Annie
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Banned

Ok , scan is done . Man did it ever find a lot ! My computer is running faster now . Thank you very much ! Pages are loading much faster and not having to sit and wait on them :D Please if you have anymore tips would you pass them along , pretty please . Huge thanks from Annie
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed at exactly the right time! I'm almost ready to go buy a new one....I've done a lot of your list, but not all...I'll try the ones I haven't....THANKS!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
Thank you so much for these tips ! Big thanks for the anti-malware program link . It's running now and finding stuff that my McAfee didn't ! I'lllet you know how it turns out . Hugs :thumbup: Annie
I am so glad the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware helped you so much. Run it every so often to get rid of the new stuff that puts itself on your computer. I believe the free version will only scan and remove. I think you have to pay to get it to block the stuff from getting in in the first place.

I don't have their paid version. Someone recommended Ad Muncher to me, and I use that instead. Not sure which is better, though Ad Muncher seems to only be for the adware, not the spyware. So you'd think the Anti-Malware would be better, but Ad Muncher seems more popular, not sure why unless it's the cute cow that sits at the bottom of your screen and munches whenever it's blocking an ad. You can get a free trial here: http://www.admuncher.com/download.shtml

I'm not recommending it, though I love Ad Muncher. I'm just putting the info out there.

Some of the things others on this thread have recommended may be worth trying. I'm wary of automated registry cleaners, because one wrong move with the registry can leave a computer unusable. But that's just me. I'm not saying the products are bad or not to try them.