Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild programs >

quilt guild programs

quilt guild programs

Old 06-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Always have a back up program that you can do planned. You never know when it will be needed. I did a program of EQ7 and it was well received. Of course, now there is EQ8. I like the programs where they show a new, free, pattern that we could all get off of the Internet. One lady did some cool little zipper bags. Some with see through sides, and some all fabric. Just too cute. One lady came and showed how she developed her doll collection with movable arms and legs. I wasn't even going to go, but her talk was fascinating. I was glad I didn't miss it.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Like Nan says, have "in-house" programs when there is danger of weather creating problems for presenters. In the KC region, there is the Heartland Quilt Network, which yearly holds a "fair" for presenters to showcase what they do and for guild program chairs to "shop" for programs. We feel very lucky to have this!
A favorite at my guild was a videoed "Our Quilt Studios"--where the filmer visited several members sewing rooms and showed ideas for storage, etc. Vendors with new products is good, if you don't think their presentation will be long enough, you can have 2-4 vendors showcase their new product at the same meeting. I'd suggest you start with a survey of members of what they'd like to see in the program--keep it kind of generic--ie. machine applique; designing quilts; how to use precuts; negative space in a quilt; binding; etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 AM

A bit different idea for the pot luck dinner......my guild started having a picnic/cookout for the pot luck dinner. We meet at the town recreation center which has a covered outdoor picnic area with tables, grills, etc. This is not where we normally meet and it has been a success. We have it in the summer months. One year we just did pot luck and the next we did a cookout with the guild buying hot dogs and hamburgers for grilling (even had a volunteer do the cooking) the guild also bought the buns and the rest of us brought sides and desserts. It was a fun day for all.
We played Quilt Bingo with the blocks we made and brought, afterward, the blocks were made into donation quilts.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 AM

As a fill in program for a winter speaker cancellation our guild had us count each person by six, then we had to meet up with those of the same number and make a list of sewing/quilting tips. One person was in charge of writing them down. We were given a specific amount of time. Then we regrouped and each group choose 2-3 items from our list to read out loud to the group. The guild secretary kept the list and posted it in our newsletter. Even as a long time quilter/sewer I learned several new ideas. Example: Did you know there is a right and wrong side of a sewing needle? If having a problem threading the eye, turn the needle over and try from the other side. Who knew?! It was not only fun and informative but also by counting out it made for better scoslization with members.

We also chose one long time member to show us her quilting journey. New members are often amazed that expert quilters had shaky beginnings just the same as every one else.

Have fun and not be afraid to think outside the box. You never know what may inspire you to try something new. And kudos to you for jumping in with an offer to help. As past President(twice), Secretary and treasurer for my guild, I know it is hard to find volunteers.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 AM

Inviting vendors to speak on specific topics has been successful in our guild - such as cleaning your sewing machine, importance of proper needle, use of different threads, demonstration of new products, etc. They come at no charge and often bring gifts to raffle. Our guild members are mostly traditional quilters - invited members of a newly organized modern quilt guild to speak - introduced new ideas and did a trunk show.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Our small group (8) just gets together, shows projects they have done, talks about things they are working on and once or twice a year we have a sew day with a potluck. Sometimes we go on a shop hop for whomever can go. Nothing formal so no one has to be stressed out about planning. We take turns bringing a snack for our meetings. It works good for us.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 AM

I am going to have to have a 'sit down' with the pres and the person who is currently on the way out of this job to see what all is going to be entailed. I am a bit nervous to take over this program since I am so new. This person has been doing the job for several years and has done a great job at it. I don't want people to be disappointed if I do take it over. I want this group to grow and be something that other quilters are going to find 'exciting'. I know the guild has a good budget for speakers and programs. So I don't believe that will be a problem at all. I would also like to include fund raiser and community projects. I am thinking even as I type I may be getting in over my head. What I don't really want to tell the guild is that I was an Activity Therapist in my former life before retirement. I am making a list o all the ideas that I have picked up from here. Any other ideas that are creeping into your mind that could be a source of fun, community or fund raiser would be a great help.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM

I would ask the former activities coordinator (or whatever she's called) to maybe address the group with a small speech saying she's retiring from her position, and everyone should welcome you as the new coordinator, and be as helpful as they can be because not only are you new to the position, you're new to the group, etc.

If you do get anyone who expresses anything other than enthusiasm for what you're doing, then sweetly say something along the lines of "I'm really sorry you were disappointed, I'm new and I'm trying my best, perhaps you could help me with the next program and show me how to do it better?" Suck them in to helping you. Ha!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM

Our guild had the program chairman quit mid year because he didn't have anything planned, so we had to do some 'quick" ideas. Our guild has about 100 members and about 80 attend each meeting. Last month we did a wool project. Most of us have not done wool. We made a book mark or you could make a sewing kit for needles. It was fun, we sat 8 at a table. We had a simple pattern and the supplies provided. It was a lot of fun.
This month we are doing demo night with 4 stations and we will alternate between them. One is tools from the $ store, free motion quilting ideas, doing machine applique and maintaining your sewing machine. One meeting we did quilt trivia. We had a local quilt show do a trunk show. Try to hit a variety of skill levels and of interests. I did it for 2 years for our guild and had a lot of un doing it.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:17 PM

All of the ideas presented can be a good program, but when guild night deteriorates to Meet Your Members, ad nauseum, it becomes a chore to go and sit through it. We pay dues, and a few years ago could look forward to a well known speakers from some aspect of quilting at least 3 times a year, but now it is "garage sale, auction, Christmas party," and all of the money made is spent to finance "retreats" that most of the quilters would rather skip.