Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ripples in Quilt Top >

Ripples in Quilt Top

Ripples in Quilt Top

Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The quilting will take out some ripples. If there are a lots of bumps, a higher loft batting helps and an all over meander or similar can camouflage a lot.
I had a customer's quilt once that she said she knew it was a mess but to quilt as best I could. It was a large star(can't remember name) that puckered up in the middle. I used fluffy batting and added a small amount of additional batting where the pucker was the worst. It came out pretty good and she was very happy at the way it turned out.
I used a large, swirly pantograph to quilt it.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM

Congrats on the finish! amazing pattern. Love Edyta!
Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
After almost 4 years I have finally finished a BOM from Laundry Basket Quilts called Sticks and Stones. It has been a huge challenge for me as it is a lot of Y seams. There is a big star in the middle of it, lots of little pieces. Bias!! It has lots of ripples in it, I have tried spray starch, coping strips, crying, more spray, more crying. I pinned it to the carpet hoping to get it to behave, didnt really help. I am hoping that when I quilt it I can take up some of the ripples. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Will one type of batting over another work better to get it to take up some of the slack?
Spray starch and a steam iron can take out a lot of slack. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 AM

I think you should block it before you sandwich it, to quilt it. Soak in the bathtub w/ a mild soap or Synthrapol. Blot and roll up in a large beach towel. Spread out on a flat surface you can pin into. I use the back of my foam design wall, made from pink insulation boards. Or some use their carpet, but lay down a clean sheet first. Pin (use sturdy pins or T-pins) to keep it in place and pull if you need to to get those wrinkles out. Let air dry. You can aim a fan at it to speed the drying. When dry, then sandwich and quilt it. I block many of my quilts that are meant to hang on a wall after they are quilted, before squaring up and finishing the edges. This makes them lay flat on the wall.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 AM

I blocked a top that had too many waves in it to consider being able to quilt them out. I did the blocking method and it worked great. Ripples gone.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM

The quilts with the most ripples are usually the ones I hand quilt since I can put each section as I go along in the frame and it has a bit of the earlier section in the hoop when you reposition to a new area. My experience is that I ended up with little to no rippling by the time the quilt is finished.

Last edited by juliasb; 06-24-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: misspelling