Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda precut whites/off white..which one do you suggest using for quilts? >

Moda precut whites/off white..which one do you suggest using for quilts?

Moda precut whites/off white..which one do you suggest using for quilts?

Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 AM

I order bolts of Moda 9900-98 white from Green Fairy when they have a sale.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:09 AM

thank you all for the replies and suggestions...I will also look into the Kona solid color and compare to the Moda color I was looking for. I would rather use something readily available until I get more confidence in cutting from yardage.

Just curious why Moda would suggest one product over another....but not make it readily available to purchase like the other colors/whites!! Guess thats why Im new to quilting!!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:13 AM

I did check with Missouri Star and they carry the yardage in 9900 200...which is to be comparable to the 9900 97 color that Moda suggests to not use unless you are dying fabric. However, I have read online many quilters use it anyway. ....even though it is made to take up color. Scares me what could happen if quilt bleeds!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I have Moda solid yardage of the 97. I bought the Dream Cotton from Marshall's Dry Goods and cannot tell any difference between the two. The rep at Marshall's said it was made at the same mill as Moda and the only MDG fabric they sell that is. It was given the name Dream Cotton as it was different from the other MDG solids. I would suggest buying a yard of Dream Cotton to see how you like it. I go to Marshall's and buy the bolts of Dream Cotton for about $2.40 a yard. If you like it call a rep and order it by the bolt. Don't place order online, call the rep for the bolt price. Wholesale website: https://www.marshalldrygoodswholesale.com/
Old 06-23-2019, 08:29 AM

As a LQS employee, I know that Moda Bella 9900 200 is a fairly new color. I also like it very much, but I have bolts of both 9900 97 and 9900 98 which I have accidentally used in the same quilt. I do not recommend using them interchangeably, but in the charity quilt I put them in, it was not obvious. I also think your best option would be to buy a bolt of 9900 200 for yourself. I know there is no guarantee, but Moda Bellas are pretty consistent in the colors.

Linda in Missouri
Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jojojo1970 View Post
...........Just curious why Moda would suggest one product over another....but not make it readily available to purchase like the other colors/whites!!...........
I would suspect that they are readily available ..... however ........
the individual stores make their choices to not stock all the options.

Originally Posted by jojojo1970 View Post
.......Moda suggests to not use unless you are dying fabric. However, I have read online many quilters use it anyway. ....even though it is made to take up color. Scares me what could happen if quilt bleeds!
The good news is that you are aware of this concern.

As to fabric bleeding ... that is why many quilters pre-wash their fabrics to check for bleeding.
and potentially remove that risk. Products like Retayne can help stabilize the dyes if that is a concern.

Buying pre-cuts does not allow for ease of pre-washing ...
Another reason to consider buying yardages.

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 AM

I use Moda Snow, unless a want a white white.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Thank you all for the great suggestions and good information! I never thought about the solid white/off white colors changing like the other lines/colors do. Maybe I will just purchase the correct color of white based on the quilt...and not try to always use the same color of white.
I was going to use the same color after reading a suggestion that it makes it soooooo much easier to use your white scraps if they match....made excellent sense to me!!
Might have to practice more on my cutting skills and buy some yardage....yikes!! Looks to be much cheaper!!
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Precuts saves me time. I buy layer cakes and jelly rolls to use on my Go not to save money but to have a great selection of fabric color and design all in one package. I would have to spend much more to get 1/4 yard of each fabric design if any shop carried the whole line. I would rather spend a little more and get right to making not prepping. I have less waste with pre cuts. I can cross a jelly roll on a strip die and have oodles of perfectly cut squares with one pass. I have all the strip dies so I can cut all the square sizes I need up to 6 1/2 inches.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:10 AM

Interesting thread!

I've been looking @ buying a bolt, or mini bolt, of white and black. All one dye lot plus have patterns I'm planning to do that will use them. White, always, but I have a pattern that uses black for the background; it appeals to me bc it reminds me of Light Bright toy when I was a child.

I very much appreciate the link to Moda's explanation on whites. It's really difficult, especially when buying online, to know which one would would work best. I wish they had included a picture of the porcelain and snow next to the whites. Even if the color on my monitor is a bit off, having them side to side would help in comparing. Am slapping my forehead as I have purchased the ready to dye when it was on clearance... I'm not wanting to dye it, and now realize it is "dying" to pick up colors. Drat.

Re precuts - I do buy precuts if I want a bit of each fabric in a collection, or at least most of them. But for white or black, it's not worth the extra $ to me. Cutting my own yardage to precut size, whether layer cake, charm or jelly roll is easy enough that I don't want to spend up to double/yard.