Should I or shouldn't I

Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Should I or shouldn't I

Found a Singer 99K yesterday, the machine itself is in good condition but the veneer on the 'breadbox' style case is damaged. Looks like something was spilled on top. My question is should I refinish it or not.
Thinking a light sanding and matching stain would be ok and that way the original singer sticker would not be damaged.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:47 PM

It sounds good to me. I do this when it needs it. I think it would be good to keep it looking nice.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM

The chances of a Singer 99 becoming collectable (valuable $$ wise) in our lifetime is slim. They weren't the top of the line sewing machines and tons of them were made. I know they often say that antique furniture should not be altered, as it affects it's value. I don't think this would fall in that category for three reasons, it's not furniture and the two reasons listed above.

To illustrate my point, how much is a beat up old black featherweight worth? How much is a pristine shiny cherry apple red Featherweight worth? How much is a perfect black featherweight worth? A white one? A 222?

Shine up or fix up your case. That way you will enjoy it more. It won't make any difference in the value, unless it enhances it.

JMHO

bkay
Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 AM

I don't know about collectable Singers, very few early models perhaps, even model 12 is in plenty in relation to collectability. We do buy them regardless and make our own collection. They can generally be sold for the same amount we bougth them, maybe fetch a bit for after repair and cleanup.

Either way, it is worth repairing the bent wood case, it looks better and it always add to the value, even if not much the ways of $ it looks better. If you keep the 99K or hand it down to someone else, the repair is worth it. I would go for a touch up in stead of full refinish like you mention. The tricky bit is to get a lacquer that maches and doesn't react badly with the existing, I think the safest is to use shellac since it's probably shellac to begin with. I think some polyuretan stuff as well as others make some lacquers sort of bubble up or turn whitish if they don't go well together.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-21-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about using shellac but you're right the original wouldn't have been poly.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

The 99’s are one of my favorites. Put some good oil on the bobbin area and below, keep it clean and you have a neat little machine. But my favorite thing is to use it for button holes. The gadget fits it in such a way you can change out the bobbin with out removing the button hole maker and you can look to see how much thread with out removing it. Get the one in the green box with all the cams. Perfect buttonholes every time. Nice.