Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you build a quilt - discussion >

How do you build a quilt - discussion

How do you build a quilt - discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Some days I am truly tempted to just grab a couple yards of one fabric, sandwich it, quilt it and be done! Haven't yet but it is in the back of my head.
Is Durham or wholecloth quilting done in the US? It is just what you are saying Murphy224.
Check these out! https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/358106607851723303/

Imagine hand stitching these a couple of hundred years ago when you only had candle light!!
Old 06-28-2019, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
thanks for the link... so much beauty there
Old 06-28-2019, 03:16 AM

I rarely use a pattern, but I love samplers and put them together in many different ways (e.g., sashed with cornerstones, on point with plain blocks, etc.). I rarely go out and buy fabric specifically for a project but like to dip into my stash. Sometimes I buy to supplement what's there, usually for sashing, borders, or backing. If I do find a pattern I like, I try to start with stash and then buy as needed. I don't use EQ-anything and sometimes I start in the middle and work my way out. Medallion quilts are fun. I rarely make a quilt with an individual in mind, but when I do I ask only what his/her favorite color is and do whatever I wish.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:08 AM

I make couch quilts. I like free patterns. I have lots of quilting books, but I love watching the free videos that Jenny does for Missouri Star Quilt Company. Sometimes I buy fabric before I decided on a pattern, and sometimes I decided on a pattern then get my fabric. I like to improvise with blocks, making blocks smaller and adding sashings with cornerstones if the original pattern didn't have it. I don't like to add borders to my quilts. I also like to make plain block quilts using 10" squares from fabric collections. I don't decided on my backing fabric until I'm almost done or completely done with the top. Getting the backing fabric is the hardest part for me. I pin baste my quilts and piece my backs with blocks in the center of the back. I use the seams of these blocks to center my top while I'm sandwiching. I only do straight line quilting, either cross hatch or block grid quilting on my DSM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:11 AM

My usual process is similar to TAMARATJO. I usually start with an inspiration that I have seen either onliine or at a show. I then jump into EQ8 and design the block/blocks/sashing/borders. After going through my stash I'll make a decision if I need to purchase something. Once I decided on fabric, I go back to EQ and adjust the borders and or sashing to accomodate the yardage that I have. Then,, before I cut huge amounts of fabric - I make one of each block - to determine the best way to press the seams and even more important to see if I like it!! Then on to the rest of the quilt.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:22 AM

I get an idea stuck in my head, try to forget it, when I can't figure out a way to make it into a quilt. Look through my stash to figure out if I have what I need to make it. Pull the stash fabrics and start only to figure out some other print / color / fabric that would be so perfect to make it, so go on a hunt for the perfect fabric to add (even though I started the project b/c it could "all be made from stash") Get excited when I find the perfect fabric and quit the project I should be working on when it still has about 1/3 left to go, but now is boring b/c I figured out all the parts that I was told couldn't be done and now know it will all work.

Post my idea online so all the QP can tell me why it won't work, after reading all the "it won't work" or "you are suppose to ...." comments, tell them (in my own head) "here hold my glass (wine)". Figure out the problems and "make it work" (read that in Tim Gunn's voice) then with about 1/3 of the project left to do start all over again! lo
Old 06-28-2019, 04:12 PM

The recipient is the main thing for me. I love to sit with my graph paper and plan out a quilt. After I draw it up, I figure out the number of fabrics needed and the sizes to cut each. Picking the fabrics is usually based on the recipient's likes and preferences. Then I start cutting and piecing. I like to chain piece when it's appropriate. Then I layer with fleece, pin and quilt; trim the sides and add the binding. Last I finish sewing down the label (2 sides are in the binding) and trim off all threads. I use this time to also inspect the whole quilt, front and back for anything I might need to fix. Very last thing is take a photo!
On occasion I find a pattern or technique I just want to try, without a recipient in mind. At those times I just pull fabric and get started. I do the graft paper thing first so I know what fabrics are needed and how to cut them. Then I pick the fabrics I want to use and go to it.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 AM

My favorite relaxing quilt is to start with a center. Then 2 side strip pieces;Top and bottom strip pieces; sides, top and bottom, sides, top and bottom, etc. till I reach the size I want. I can get quite complex with the strips, matching pairs across from each other. Often it comes out rather oriental looking. Totally fun.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

It's so interesting how we get our ideas and formulate how we get our quilts made.
Has anyone else been frustrated by Pinterest? I get overwhelmed. I guess there's so much to look at that it floods my pea-brain haha I don't care for that site.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:47 PM

For me it usually starts with a fabric I really love. I have a large stash so I have to set some limitations for the piece so I don't become too indecisive. I'll choose a combination of colors and stick to it (mostly). Since my work involves a lot of
applique and embellishments the first step is piecing the base. Then I decide what I want to do next. Frankly, it's not a particularly disciplined approach but it works for me. In my case the trick is to be open to wherever the piece wants to take me.