Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you? >

Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Old 06-29-2019, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Most of my projects have been from twin to King size but with the baby coming I'm planning on lots of little quilts for her She will be my first grandchild!!!
Once in awhile I make a table runner or wall quilt but not too often. And also once in awhile I make things like hot pads and bags but not a whole lot.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:42 AM

I like to make lap quilts. Not too small, but not really bed size either. Usually easy to finish.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:22 AM

I now sew random 6" blocks, then add sashing to turn them into quilt tops for community quilts. I make the top and let others do the finishing.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:27 AM

I make all sizes, except king so far, but prefer baby or lap size quilts that vary from 42-60" wide and 60-72" long. Because I have a sit down mid-arm, everything is custom and it takes me forever to get one quilted if any bigger LOL
We have cathedral ceilings in our bedroom, office and living room so lots of wall space for hanging quilts and several are lap or twin sized. I have donated several for babies and chemo, given our five grandkids numerous quilts but they are all still quite young so have several in mind for "growing into". Remarkably we do not have one on our bed yet, though I have a Hunter's Star in taupes all kitted up for that someday.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 AM

Charity/comfort quilts make up about 98% of the quilts that I help to make. Our guild has a charity bee of less than a dozen quilters who made over 400 quilts this year and the year before. Since we don't get in a hurry over anything, we were even amazed at the output. I loved luvstoquilt's description of door quilts! We make these around 36" wide for wheelchair recipients. The length varies a bit. They are great for using regular WOF backs and go together in a hurry.

But we also make lots bigger quilts. Some of those are in the range of bearisgray's "couch quilts" - about 60 t0 70 inches wide and about 80 to 85 inches long. We also support Safe Child and we try not to forget that children come in all sizes!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:39 AM

I have made one queen size quilt as a wedding gift for my son and his bride, one twin size quilt for my daughter's best friend who was fighting cancer, many wall hangings, many purses, tote bags, etc. I'm currently working on a t-shirt quilt about the size of a double bed. My favorite is miniatures, wall hangings and small quilt projects. Anything with needle and thread interest me. I do hope to make some large quilts, but I can't machine quilt them myself and I like to complete the whole project myself.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:16 AM

I tend to make throw size since most of mine are comfort quilts. Usually around 56 x 72 but depending on the size of the pattern blocks I decide to make. I have also been making quilts for kids this year and they range thru all sizes because the kids are all sizes and ages.
I have made a few placemats but smaller things are not usually of interest to me. No one I know actually uses placemats, lol, or I would make more of them. Like others, I don't want to make something that will sit in a drawer or closet.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:58 AM

I am making a king size now and find that it is to much for me with my RA and old age. When I finish it I will stick to lap and baby quilts and table toppers and other small projects. It is upsetting as i love to make large quilts so I may make the tops and hire someone to do the quilting.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Butterfly, you don't need to feel that way. Your creativity runs where you do what you are doing. No one's creativity is the same as another one.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 PM

I like to make larger queen size quilts or king quilts. Table runners are also one of my favorites. Very rarely do I make a twin quilt unless it is for someone.