Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you? >

Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Old 06-29-2019, 01:28 PM

I’ve never made a quilt. But realistically, my projects will probably be lap quilts. They’ll get the greatest use. I may try my hand at a wall hanging down the road.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:49 PM

My unmarried DS is the only one in my family with a queen bed, everyone else has kings now. So I can freely make whatever I want inking size, then decide later who it will go to. I also like making couch quilts. I aim for around 60x90 but will go down to 80 long if it is for a woman and the pattern works better shorter. I love making baby quilts, but my kids aren’t ready yet, and I work in manufacturing, so no pregnant coworkers either. Someday. My daughters friends look forward to my baby quilts at least. I’ve made a few wall hangings. No one I know uses placemats either, to bad, they are fun too.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I like to make what I call "couch quilts" - about 60 t0 70 inches wide and about 80 to 85 inches long.

Big enough to put on top of a bed for extra warmth, and large enough to cover up completely while on a couch - and small enough to be able to wrangle through my machine to quilt it.
Ditto on this size. Most of my work is in that same size range. I did make one queen and although it is lovely it was a bear to handle. Stash is not a problem, I have enough. But a place to lay out, then quilt larger quilts is limited by my space and strength to manhandle bigger projects.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:00 AM

I've made only 1 bed size quilt, but numerous throw quilts. I also made a long narrow "doorsize" quilt. I used to live in an old farmhouse, built in 1904, from 1984-2008. I made the quilt to hang over the unused front door to keep cold air out, as the house was very drafty. My husband died in 2007. I moved out of the house in 2008 and sold the house to my daughter, who had grown up there. Unfortunately the house burned down 3 weeks ago destroying nearly everything including throw quilts I had made for my daughter and her family. The door quilt however was not in the house as I brought it with me when I moved.
I am looking at it right now draped across the back of my couch. Because of its unusual size it's not useful for anything else, but it serves as a reminder of the old home we all loved.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 AM

Seems most of my quilts have been the oversize large ones lately. Picked up an extra bolt of batting because of that too. I rarely ever make wallhangings and if I have enough scraps I'll make an oversized lap quilt. But lately its been 100+ x 100+ quilts for me.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I've made only 1 bed size quilt, but numerous throw quilts. I also made a long narrow "doorsize" quilt. I used to live in an old farmhouse, built in 1904, from 1984-2008. I made the quilt to hang over the unused front door to keep cold air out, as the house was very drafty. My husband died in 2007. I moved out of the house in 2008 and sold the house to my daughter, who had grown up there. Unfortunately the house burned down 3 weeks ago destroying nearly everything including throw quilts I had made for my daughter and her family. The door quilt however was not in the house as I brought it with me when I moved.
I am looking at it right now draped across the back of my couch. Because of its unusual size it's not useful for anything else, but it serves as a reminder of the old home we all loved.
Saddened by the loss of your daughters house.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

I love them all. The smallest quilt I ever made is 12" sq, a blue and white pineapple I call Ocean Waves.

The largest is about 95" sq, a scrappy spiderweb I call I Spy-der.

I have made every size in between and mostly just build them up till I like the look. There is never a set size to anything I make.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:36 PM

I've only made a couple of bed sized quilts and that was years ago. For a long time I just didn't have the space to make them. Now I have the space but not the inclination. I think because of space limitations in the past I feel most comfortable making wall quilts no wider than 4 feet. I do all of the quilting by hand so it takes forever to make a quilt even that size. I think I'd get too bored working on something bigger because it would take forever.

I do a lot of applique and started off making single squares of simple patterns until I felt comfortable doing larger pieces. Something 10 or 12 inches square is a great place to start and they can be quilted and bound to be hung on the wall. I made a few when I was in my teens and my mom framed them under glass. They still look great 40 years later.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 AM

I am a lap quilt sort of gal. Big enough to cuddle under, or sit on at the beach or a picnic, but not so big that it costs too much in time or materials.

I will be making 2 twin quilts for Refugees who will be arriving at my University next month. Yikes, I need to get cracking on those.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 PM

I have just today sandwiched a quilt for a gift and now after reading this thread think that it is too small. It is 39" x 54". I envisioned it being put over someone while sitting or reclining on the couch. I have finished 1 quilt for me - a BOM throw, 48" x 64" and it feels too big. This quilt is only pinned, I could add another couple of inches, should I?