Featherweight case damage

Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Featherweight case damage

I just bought a featherweight!
The only problem is that the case has one missing flap "thingy" that allows you to snap the thing closed and the other one will not snap into the hole.
Do I have any repair options? I see that one can buy a case online but thought this might be repairable if I can find the part.
Thank you for any help.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM

You can purchase a replacement hinge from the Featherweight Shop online. The lock hinge is often broken from being pried up by someone who wanted to see inside. When I replaced mine, I had to purchase two new hinges. Though old ones are occasionally available. It was an exhausting effort for DH who thought he knew better. The hinges are riveted in and have to be drilled out, but there are directions online. IN hindsight, I would have purchased one of the red nylon cases for the featherweight. Old cases are sometimes musty.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Thank you Toverly,
A hinge ….why could I not find the word in my brain )
I will look on the Featherweight shop to see and also look up directions online to see if I can change them. This case smells fine but perhaps get a nylon one for travel.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:15 AM

The Featherweight Shop also has an on-line class on refurbishing a Featherweight case.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Clasp, or hinge? The hinges attach at the back of the lid, screwed to both lid and case. The clasps clip down to hold the case shut.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Thank you Thank you WIChix - it's the clasp that is missing. When I originally did a search on the Featherweight shop, I could not find a listing for the hinge, but now rechecked and found a listing for a clasp. They are sold out for now but at least now I know what I'm looking for. Also found a youtube video on how to pull the rivets out which I might attempt when I do find a set of clasps.
Also want to thank you Aurora for letting me know about the refurbishing info, I found that video.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:16 AM

While you are at the Featherweight Shop site, you might be interested in viewing their post of the difference between a Featherweight and other Singer machines. I found it quite interesting, along with the history of the cases and attachments that will fit the FW's. I receive emails from their site on a regular basis. I have purchased items from them for several years now and have always been very satisfied with my purchases. Have fun with your new machine. I am sure you will enjoy using it as much as I enjoy mine.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Chester- I have found the Featherweight shop to be really helpful with products and how-tos. And they offer free shipping. They are also really good when you have questions.