Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What’s Up With This Ruler? >

What’s Up With This Ruler?

What’s Up With This Ruler?

Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 AM

I have read somewhere that if you have astigmatism, then the Omnigrids are difficult to use. I use only Omnigrids since I started quilting. Have full set all sizes, even doubles that were gifted to me. I love them for their accuracy and many uses.
I actually have purchased some Creative grids in very special sizes (for a class or particular pattern), find the cost and limits of use to be prohibitive
to replace all my OG's.
Each his/her own I guess.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-07-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:23 AM

I have 2-3 QS rulers that I got at 50% off. I love them. I have other rulers of other brands, but none can come up to QS . They really grip the fabric.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

​If I need a new ruler I will look at the Quilters Select but my Omnigrids are working fine for me.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:16 AM

I hate the Omnigrid rulers, what a waste of money. Why they haven't figured it out and changed their design is beyond me.

I love the Creative Grids rulers, they're clear and have grippy edges and grippy dots on the bottom.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I have two Omnigrid rulers. I use the very seldom. One is an 8", I only use it if I need to cut at 8". I don't like for the same reason others have said.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by catsden View Post
I guess I'm the odd one here. I have several Omni rulers and I like them. Probably because I am used to them. I have trouble with Creative grids rulers.
I'm with you, catsden. I find the Creative Grids difficult to use. I have one Quilter's Select, which I find annoying to move. I don't like the yellow color. It seems cloudy, and my old eyes don't see through that as well.

Leslie
Old 07-07-2019, 07:09 PM

I have been changing from Omnigrid to Quilters Select. Have gotten quite a few but really wanted to get 8-1/2 x 24 but they weren't made yet. At our local quilt show a vendor had it & I purchased. When I went to store it I found I already had 1. That's when I remembered The Quilt Show had a sale a couple of months ago & I bought it then. If the vendor were local I would return but they were from AZ. So now I have 2 unless I find someone to sell it to. Reminder look everywhere you have your rulers before buying?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
My understanding, and I paid extra for this, is it is suppose to be a "gripper" to hold onto the fabric when cutting. It does not work IMHO. I have only seen one true gripping ruler and right now it is on my list of things to buy. Quilter's Select and it does grip firmly. I tried it at a trunk show once. They sold out way to fast.
I have Quilter's Select and I love it. It’s my very first ruler. I bought it about 20 years ago. I have others, but not one of them can compare to Quilter's Select. The ridges on the backside firmly grip the fabric. The quilt shop owner from whom I bought it said I would love it. And yes I do!!!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 AM

I have one Omnigrid ruler 12 1/2, but quit buying them and switched to Creative Grids. Still have the 12 1/2 because it is too expensive to replace, but now buy nothing but Quilters Select. I, too, find the yellow lines annoying on the Omnigrid, and love the non-slide feature of QS.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 AM

I haven't been quilting long (6 months or so) and the omnigrid seemed to be the easiest to buy so that's what I've gotten used to. I do like having all the marking lines, but interestingly, my rulers sit on a window sill near the dining room table where I cut, and the 12 1/2" square ruler sits up against the window. I noticed the other day that all the yellow is fading from the sun.....