Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What’s Up With This Ruler? >

What’s Up With This Ruler?

What’s Up With This Ruler?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I have Quilter's Select and I love it. It’s my very first ruler. I bought it about 20 years ago. I have others, but not one of them can compare to Quilter's Select. The ridges on the backside firmly grip the fabric. The quilt shop owner from whom I bought it said I would love it. And yes I do!!!
Are you sure it is Quilter's Select? That brand hasn't been available but for the last few years and it does not have ridges on the back. You may be thinking of Quilter's Rule?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 AM

I have every size of the QS rulers. I bought one a month as a gift to myself. The largest sizes for birthday, Mother's Day and Christmas. At our guild the yellow lined rulers lay on the free table and no one takes them except maybe a beginner quilter member.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Here's a link for an affordable, effective alternative to these rulers. Share if you have experience with these. There are lots of different ones out there.

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/t...SABEgIH3fD_BwE
Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 AM

I think I bought several Omnigrid years ago because I could get them with a coupon at JoAnn's and hadn't had much experience with any other. I still use it but usually put painters tape on it so it's not as hard to see. Since then most of my new ones have been Creative Grids (which are great) but I got the 6 x 24 from Quilters Select and fell in love with it! I'd like to replace some of mine, just haven't had the money. What I did try recently is a spray on called "Grippy Spray Adhesive". It feels a lot like the QS rulers and I've put it on several of my other brand rulers (including the Omnigrid), I'm quite pleased with it so far and it's a lot less expensive, at about $8, than a new ruler.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...hoCcv4QAvD_BwE
Old 07-09-2019, 05:12 AM

I use a drop of rubber cement on the back of the ruler.. That helps it to grip the fabric. If you don't like it, just peel it off.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:07 PM

I have no problems with my Omnigrid rulers and have them in many sizes. I use the clear medical tape (NexCare) on the backs to prevent sliding.

My absolutely favorite ruler of all times is no longer made. It was called 'Fingerguard" and was made by a lady in Maine. Unfortunately, she has gone out of business. Crisp clear measuring lines and a guard (runs the length of the ruler) at the 1/2" line (1/4" line very clearly marked) to keep your fingers away from the rotary blade. Wish I could buy more of these rulers!