Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different Weights of Clear Thread? >

Different Weights of Clear Thread?

Different Weights of Clear Thread?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Libits View Post
How do you avoid the stretching? I’m working with blocks of rainbow colors so using a colored thread—even a neutral color—would really disturb the colors of the blocks.
I'm really a novice quilter, so this might not be applicable to your problem. I tried to use the Coats Transparent thread to zig-zag around a Dresden plate block and did not like the result. It stretched and mangled the block. So, I removed it and went another route.

Later on, I bought Gutermann Invisible for quilting a multicolored I spy quilt with a walking foot on my domestic machine. I matched the bobbin thread (just regular thread) to the backing and used the Gutermann in the top thread. It worked perfectly. I would do it again.

bkay

edit: The Gutermann has a little texture to it and the Coats is very slick, which may account for the difference in handling. Neither spool has any kind of weight or measurement on it regarding it's thickness, but the Coats feels smaller, but it could be the texture component that makes it feel that way.

Last edited by bkay; 07-08-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 07-08-2019, 04:26 AM

I use a clear nylon and poly thread both in my bobbin. The trick to threading a bobbin is you need to build up the spool pin with an empty thread spool so that your clear thread comes straight across the machine to your bobbin winder. Do not go up through the tall thread guide. Then only wind your bobbin half full. This is the way I was taught and I never have any problems loading a bobbin.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:59 AM

I have found a problem with some brands feeling stiff and do not work well with my machine. I usually use regular thread in the bobbin when using invisible thread on the top and it does well.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I've never used that clear thread but you are not a pest!
Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 AM

I just finished my third quilt using Superior clear Monopoly on top and in the bobbin. It is crazy difficult for me to thread the machine, but once I overcome that challenge, it works great for me. I use it on my Juki 2200 longarm. I loosen the tension some on the bottom and top. Actually, I really, really like the Monopoly.....I would never use the nylon.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:56 PM

a good trick to threading is a dab of black on the end is it is visible. use a marking pen for this and then trim it off.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 AM

I'm just curious "mindless" what does thread use have to do with yoga?