Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Demonstration of making star trivet for guild >

Demonstration of making star trivet for guild

Demonstration of making star trivet for guild

Old 07-11-2019, 04:31 AM

Default Demonstration of making star trivet for guild

I am working out a project that I have been asked to demonstrate how to make at an upcoming quilt guild meeting. I will only be demo-ing how to put on the bindings. Right now I have to make several trivets so I can show step-by-step what has to be done. Now I am trying to figure out how many trivets I should make as WIPS to show the process. I have one with the binding on, ready ready to be turned and hand stitched over the top. I also have one that is ready for the binding ready to be laid on and stitched in place. Should I make another or would these two be enough. I am not sure if I should show how to make them circular and put the bottom on and secure by stitching all the way around before putting on the binding. If any of you have demoed things like this in the past do you make a number for others to try their hand or just do it somewhat like you would see in a video? Other than teaching individuals some basic quilting lessons I have not done anything like this before. Here are 2 different size trivets one with the binding unturned and ready to secure and another one ready to have the binding sewn on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trivets.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	614723  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 AM

My suggestion since you are going to be demonstrating to a variety of quilters, new and veterans is to make as many as possible of each and every step. The more visual examples you have, the less explaining you have to do. I have made one of these trivets before. I would have them numbered 1,2, 3 ect. I would have one just cut components, another with the first layer, another with the second layer, one halfway done, then one with how to finish around the edges. I don't think there is a need to show how to finish the binding. That's pretty much the same on quilts, except for the bias.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 AM

I am not sure if I should show how to make them circular and put the bottom on and secure by stitching all the way around before putting on the binding.

Yes, I would like to see how to put them together included in the demo.
Include the initial cutting and folding methods.
Include the link so they can get their own pattern.

Does your pattern show the octagon shape? Here is a link for binding different angles which may interest members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vci9-li3aYU

Pretend your demo is for someone that hasn't seen this pattern. Start from the beginning and continue step-by-step until you have the finished project.

Pass around the step by step demo so the guests can see each step.

Practice your demo and time it to get an idea of the length of your presentation. Practice the demo showing the projects. Number them according to the steps so you have the right item at the right time. I like to use a small demo board to hold items too. Make a few samples as door prizes to give away to members. They will love it!

It is fun to be the presenter and a great experience. I try to do one presentation a year for our local group. Relax as you will be with friends. If you have a mishap, no one will probably know about it. You can always put one of them on your head like a hat for a few giggles if needed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes on presentation day!

PS: you may want to include a few methods on cutting bias binding.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-11-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Thank you very much now I have a few things more to work with as I make sure I do my part as best I can.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:00 AM

I used to do the props on the show Sew Perfect with Sandra Betzina for HGTV. The first step was simply the pieces cut out, then there was a sample for each of the following step (sometimes there were a lot of different steps!!) The last step was a finished sample of the item. Quite a process for a garment but not too bad for your pretty trivet. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

yes, bright contrasting colors too and pass them around as you show them. or have two of each so one can be passed. hands on help. have fun!