Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is a pfaff 230 supposed to be in this forum? >

Is a pfaff 230 supposed to be in this forum?

Is a pfaff 230 supposed to be in this forum?

Old 07-08-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Is a pfaff 230 supposed to be in this forum?

Just picked up my first Pfaff, a 230 automatic.(I couldn't resist is is the sexy black one like my singer 306w) Really stiff, but all of the knobs move so I think it will clean up. There are issues with the needle threaded and it is missing the throat plate and the slide cover. Think this one will be my sail making machine.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:30 AM

When I hear these stories of finding a great machine and the people who are going to clean them up, I am very envious. Hubby is the mechanical one in the family and so far has not taken an interest in the older machines. I'm hoping one day he will get bored and decide to start playing with them. By the way, I have managed to collect a Singer 27, a featherweight with a serial number from my birth year and a couple of others. He just shakes his head. These happy little guys are just waiting for him.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Yea Pfaff in cast are fair game here.

Barb, I had two or three treadles waiting in my house until I developed an interest. Then the sickness hit hard I have a considerable # now.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM

My cousin bought a Pfaff 230 "flattop" at a thrift store for about $40 a few years back. It was also in a beautiful Pfaff cabinet. It had the dealer's sticker on the back of the machine, and the dealer was in Germany. She had to take it to a local Pfaff dealer and have the wiring redone for the U.S. It was well taken care of, no dents, no scratches, great heavy duty Pfaff.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Couple days of hitting everything with tri flow each time I walked by, plus gently rocking the mainshaft (handwheel) and gently working the levers and knobs ....and she is turning over smoothly ....all the lever seem to work what they are supposed to ....and the internal cam stack is actually turning ......Plus the oily rag has cleaned it up rather nicely!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 AM

Finally on my real computer and can upload pictures ... this is her now ... still needs to come inside for a deep cleaning.[ATTACH=CONFIG]614770[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66746861_357455818278575_2267489711469625344_n.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	614770  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Greywuuf,

I believe you should be here. The Pfaff 230 is a domestic machine, although often referred to as industrial strength. You've got a beauty there.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 AM

Oh, your Pfaff is beautiful in the black. Please let us know how you get on. I've recently adopted a Pfaff 230 as well and am astounded at how smooth everything is despite 20 years sitting in the garage of the previous owner.

However, I'm having some motor issues. I'll start a new thread about it. Mine has the electrical outlet on the opposite side of the motor from the foot pedal plug, and the motor will not engage unless something is plugged into that extra outlet (where an optional knee pedal would normally go, according to the manual). If I plug a lamp in, the motor hums, and I don't know why. The first try, it hummed and engaged, and now we're down to just humming...

I'm keen to know how your motor sounds when you try it. Good luck with your machine!
Old 07-27-2019, 02:38 AM

I would tell you about the motor sounds ....but I bought mine without a foot pedal or a power cord.... Also I bought it in the middle of a boat project (one for the shop to handle sail work was my excuse) and the boat has eaten up my available allowance for this paycheck .....it will be a week or so before I get around to getting the required parts for the machine.