Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble problems >

Thimble problems

Thimble problems

Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 PM

I had problems with the leather thimbles. For one thing, it was too big. I thought the dimpled metal was in the wrong place. I use my finger tip (just under the nail) to push the needle through. The metal was on the pad of my finger, and so it wasn't where I needed it.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:53 AM

I like leather thimbles but they need to be replaced often. One thimble for each top quilted. I buy a pair of leather gloves and cut the fingers off so I have eight thimbles. I don't usually use the thumbs because they are too large.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
dsj

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have little bitty fingers even the petite flies off of them. It only fits if I am retaining fluid. I starting using the paddle thimble and LOVE IT!!! it takes a few minutes to get used to it but it works beautifully and my stitches are more consistent and smaller. You will probably have to go on line to find them. I paid $15 for mine at a quilt expo. I bought 3 just in case I loose one I have a couple more to spare. I won't use anything else.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM

I also use the little leather dots. You can make your own with double sided tape and a leather punch. And of course a little strip of leather. These are the only ones I use now. You can find them at Hancock's of Paducah. At the store or in the catalog.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
At Bents Old Fort in Colorado gift shop I found the one that works for me. Fits perfect. I lost the one that I got. E-mailed them and ordered a dozen of them. They all are great and I always have a thimble where ever I am. On marathon quilting days I use a stick on pad on my left middle finger. Keeps me going when the finger gets sore.
Can you post the store website? I tried to find it apparently I am overlooking it. Thanks
JOY
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 AM

you could say I have tried every thimble invented, pretty close. the one I settled on after trying them all is the rubber finger with the leather inside for the end of my finger. it doesn't slip and stays put very well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-21072.jpe
Views:	290
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	21072  
Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 AM

wow you really have tried them all!! it's so hard to find one that fits correctly--it's worse than buying clothes as far as i'm concerned!!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 AM

I agree, wow, but I have all of those, in spades, except the one at the bottom. Probably the one that you said works lol... And next time I am in a quilt store believe me I am going to look. I have trouble keeping them on my finger I am in between any size. I even took a couple of the leather ones and got them real wet and let them dry. No luck so thank you.. What is it called? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 AM

they are what they use in an office to sort paper and I put the little leather disks in the bottom so the needle doesn't go thru...I just bought another one at the Q.S that is small and does fit good, am going to try that one...anything else just falls off...have my mothers old one too and can't keep that one on either. I got this rubber finger at the dime store in small....
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 AM

thank you so much for the info, I will try and remember. Thank you