Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
In the Tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright >

In the Tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright

In the Tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright

Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM

That is a work of art. Just stunning! I hope it brings in lots of $$$$.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by railroad View Post
After a lot of 'frog stitching' I realized the cutting of the 3/4" 'leading' fabric was an absolute necessity. I used starch, cut it singly, 6 or so inches at a time. Sewing time was also very slow on those leading pieces. I tried cutting the black, which was Hoffmann batik Raven, on the length of the fabric, but then it seemed to tend to ravel. It was an interesting journey.
Your quilt is stunning. I have one of her patterns that I haven't gotten the nerve to try yet. I'm happy to see how well it turned out with the overall quilting you did. I didn't like the idea of quilting it the way she suggested. Could you please explain what you mean by "cutting of the 3/4 'leading' fabric was an absolute necessity"? I'm afraid I don't understand that. I am also pleased to hear that you used Hoffmann Raven. I love that color. Is there really a batik in that color? May I ask where you bought it? Thanks so much.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 AM

I could never do that. You are a very talented quilter.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-19-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM

What a fantastic quilt! I hope it sells for big $$$$ at the Gala.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Default In the Tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
Your quilt is stunning. I have one of her patterns that I haven't gotten the nerve to try yet. I'm happy to see how well it turned out with the overall quilting you did. I didn't like the idea of quilting it the way she suggested. Could you please explain what you mean by "cutting of the 3/4 'leading' fabric was an absolute necessity"? I'm afraid I don't understand that. I am also pleased to hear that you used Hoffmann Raven. I love that color. Is there really a batik in that color? May I ask where you bought it? Thanks so much.
Yes, my explanation is I forgot a word!! I meant to say that the cutting of the 3/4" 'leading' fabric has to be extremely accurate. Accuracy is a necessity.
I used Jason Yenter's two fabrics, the light and medium teal and just loved them. They are not batik, but look like it, are thin, do not ravel at all. They were a joy to work with.
I purchased the Raven batik, black, online. It did not act like a batik, in that it did ravel some.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Wow! you've captured the essence of FLW's art in your quilt. Congrats!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Awesome, indeed it is! This is truly an item to be desired by someone with an eye for beautiful interpretation of the work of an icon in our culture, FLW. I hope it raises lots of money for your gala. Thank you for sharing your work before it retreats to its new home.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 PM
KLO

I agree with all who said that this is a beautiful quilt and well done! Like others I too have the book but am a bit intimidated by those narrow leading pieces. I can certainly see where accuracy is paramount. For me I would worry about sewing accurately also. Probably would have to be a project that I would work on for shorter periods of time with other projects mixed in to give me a break from it. You have inspired me to get that book out!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:06 PM

Very distinctive! Congratulations on creating a work of art!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by railroad View Post
Yes, my explanation is I forgot a word!! I meant to say that the cutting of the 3/4" 'leading' fabric has to be extremely accurate. Accuracy is a necessity.
I used Jason Yenter's two fabrics, the light and medium teal and just loved them. They are not batik, but look like it, are thin, do not ravel at all. They were a joy to work with.
I purchased the Raven batik, black, online. It did not act like a batik, in that it did ravel some.

And my mistake is that I was reading "leading" fabric as in "to take the lead, be first" not as "the metal lead." Thanks for the clarification. It's an absolutely marvelous quilt.