Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by kkbrand
Well I think I have definately ruled myself right out of buying the pounce pad as I can see from all of the comments it is definately not user friendly! I did order a whole bunch of stencils and I got the purple disappearing ink pen
i agree. im so glad to have found this thread! thanks a bunch
Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 PM

I have the pounce and not sure I like it either. I tend to go for the blue and purple marker on white or lights but I do really like the white marking pen (fine) by clover or darker fabrics. It stays on until you whipe it off or use an iron on it.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM

For anyone who is a member over at QNN, look for the first video in the Linda Taylor 100 series, Linda's Longarm Quilting. She has Pam Clarke as a guest, using the Pounce - a great visual (and great design ideas as well!)

Once I saw to rub it instead of 'pounce' it (really, they should reconsider the name LOL!) it works great for me and stays very well. I use it and the Designs with Lines stencil to mark the centers of my blocks for painting them too - works great and irons right off :D
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Roben
Once I saw to rub it instead of 'pounce' it (really, they should reconsider the name LOL!) it works great for me and stays very well. I use it and the Designs with Lines stencil to mark the centers of my blocks for painting them too - works great and irons right off :D
Maybe they call it pounce because you basically have to beat the heck out of it before it will work properly. :lol: :roll:
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I would like to know more about marking with markers and pencils. i am so scared to buy the wrong one. i have heard horror stories of them never coming off. Any specific brand? And what type? There are SOOOO many out there! I also thought about the pounce too
I took a workshop with Jill Schumacher and learned so much from her about marking and pinning a quilt. The marking tools that she suggests is: White Stabilo pencils (great on dark fabrics); Nifty Notions Blue markers (great for light fabrics); The Clover Eraser Pen (the ultimate Boo-boo pen--perfect to remove mistakes; and a metal pencil sharpener--does not splinter the wood on the pencil. Both marking tools are water soluble and remove easily with cold water!

Another great tip when you're finished with your quilt is to block it (especially if you're going to put it in a show) is to wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle with 1 tsp. (cap full) of Synthrapol and 1 or 2 Shout Color Catcher sheets (depending on size of quilt or if there is a lot of red in your quilt). This will bleed out the excess dye. Then find an area in your house where you can lay down a sheet and put your wet quilt on and block it. Let it dry and your quilt will hang perfectly straight. I move my dining room table because I have an overhead fan and I turn the fan on and leave it overnight and usually the quilt is dry by morning.

Aunt Spikie
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 PM

I like the idea of buying simple chalkboard chalks. I have pencils (blue, red and white)that break when sharpening them. Does the chalk brush off?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM

I have the pounce system and I also use a chalk mechanical pencil. I find if you pounce a few times on scrap fabric to get the chalk flowing first, and then instead of pouncing on top of the stencil, I wipe lightly downward and it seems to work much better and not be so messy. I use the chalk pounce on stencils that have sharp corners where its hard to use the mechanical chalk pencil.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 AM

Went to JoAnn's & Keepsake's site no picture. Pulled out pen! Can you believe there is no brand name on it. Its a white barrel with blue lettering that says Water Erasable Marker - Blue. Made in Japan!! :lol: :lol: I know JoAnn's has it I just saw it there. Look by where the pounce, chaulk markers and etc. are. I'm sorry I can't tell you the brand.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
I would like to know more about marking with markers and pencils. i am so scared to buy the wrong one. i have heard horror stories of them never coming off. Any specific brand? And what type? There are SOOOO many out there! I also thought about the pounce too
never used these myself..but my friend swears by the washable kids markers...by crayola i think...
i believe all things you mark your quilt with,should be tested on a scrap piece first. this inclused the ones you want to be perm.like on labels..Kim
Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 AM

When I was a new quilter I marked an entire border with disappearing marker. Something came up and the quilt was put away for awhile and when I got back to it, the whole marked border had disappeared. It wasn't funny then, but it sure is funny now!!!